Anybody recognise this?

I've made a couple of posts about trying to get a timer control into an old Vaillant boiler/central heating system.

My previous idea of just power-cycling the boiler seems to be a no-go given that the boiler has (I think) a run-on function. Certainly, after switching off the water and heating controls, the boiler continues to make a noise for several minutes.

My question now is... what is this?

link:

's no reference to it in the manual that was left with the boiler.

The two switches on the unit control the water and heating respectivly. The dial appears to indicate water temp and the control knob sets water temperature.

There are wires from the boiler to the unit, which, from their connections, would imply that a new thermostat could be added to replace the pictured unit.

However, before I dismantle it all, I'd like some idea of what's supposed to be going on. But there are no part numbers on the unit, so I'm struggling to get any kind of clue to google on.

So, does anyone know what this unit may be called? Or even maybe have a manual?

Thanks & regards Robin

Reply to
Robin

flipping heck the whole thing looks like a atomic bomb

Reply to
Kevin

I would surmise that the square panel on the control unit could be removed and replaced with a timer, possibly such as this one

installation manual can be downloaded from that page too.

Inside the control unit you should - hopefully - find a model number or pinout which would provide further information. (Switch off electricity before removing covers.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Nothing like one.

Reply to
dennis

I bet I have seen more bits of a atomic bomb than you ;-) up close and personal ,they might be shiny and white on the outside but not on the inside

Reply to
Kevin

no comment.

Reply to
dennis

tis true and legal ex MOD

Reply to
Kevin

In message , Robin

Reply to
geoff

Reply to
meow2222

Oh go on.... frighten him!

Reply to
EricP

You realise the spooks are going to turn up to the uk.d-i-y meet now?

Reply to
Andy Champ

Naw they know that to make an A or H bomb is quite tricky but making a dirty bomb is much easier...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Making an A bomb is easy. Getting the materials is quite hard.

As for an H bomb.. that's not exactly hard either, just remember that there is no H2 in it.

Reply to
dennis

Which, overall, makes it hard....

Still harder than a dirty bomb, for that you only need to have something go bang in quite a small way and push some fine powder up into the air and then tell the authorites it was a dirty bomb containing you choice of biological or nuclear nasty. The powder could just be flour but the authorities don't know that until they have taken samples and run tests. In the meantime they have to evacuate and decontaminate the area and down wind as if it did contain your nasties...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

OTOH, have you ever seen a flour explosion? :o)

Reply to
Huge

That was the mistake they made in the commons.. if you evacuate you spread the contamination. Best to lock the doors and leave them there until you know what it is. If they don't die its not a problem. If they do die, you did the correct thing to contain it. The only problem you get is if you have to shoot them to contain them and nobody dies from the attack.

Reply to
dennis

I've seen a lab demo and pictures of destroyed buildings.

Reply to
dennis