How to make foundations bigger?

My builder has just poured the foundations (600mm wide trench) for my kitchen extension but I have notice that the structural engineers drawings show that in one area where a vertical steel beam is to be located the concrete should be 1000mm wide. I was just wondering how you would make a foundation bigger. I am guessing that it would need to be keyed into the other foundation in some way?

Cheers

Reply to
compactpowerhouse

Not necessarily..probably the edges are pretty rough and will key enough..

Most stress on foundations is downwards, after all.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ask your structural engineer. If you agree something with the builder without first consulting your structural engineer, you will be personally responsible for any problem that occurs in the future.

Reply to
Bruce