Another bargain for the Aldi fans

I did and it does. HP 4100 IS supported on XP, to the extent that the WIN2000 software works perfectly.

The SANE interface for MAC OSX is a complete abortion.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

4100 do0es NOT work on the mac under SANE and only one third party costs money app made it work acceptably.

Not as well as it did on a PC either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Still wrong.

Reply to
Huge

Head crashes caused by loss of power were a thing of the past more than 20 years ago.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Longer ago than even that. I entered the industry 25 years ago, using many different drives which were up to 10 years old even then, and none of those had any issue with pulling the power. All the drive designs of that era already included explicit features to protect the disks/heads against loss of power.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I know how disks work but I do wonder about some of the posters.

No.. it was stated "in contact and active" that means broken.

If the power cord is yanked the disk should finish the sector its writing and move the head to the parking zone so the platter isn't damaged when the head actually does land on the platter. That's not to mean that poorly written software couldn't screw up the logical structure of the disk and break the system.

Reply to
dennis

I did say "more than" ;-)

I was writing head crash detection software in 68-69 when there was a rash of them on the new IBM 2314s. Problem was the operators kept trying the damaged pack on other drives and it wasn't long before every drive and dozens of packs were damaged.

Reply to
Bob Martin