Another bargain for the Aldi fans

;-)

As someone who's worked on both (although more on the SunOS kernel than on Linux), I'd have to say there's not much that's similar.

If you're a user using, say, Gnome on Solaris and Linux, then they look pretty similar I suppose.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

and why it survives a network outage or a machine going down. And why it screws up royally if a machine editing a file leaves a lock on it and goes down..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On windows what I want is in icons on the screen, and n a mac its in the dock. No difference really.

If I need something else in either case I have to use a finder type tool.

No..the mouse movement up to the extreme screen top s a pain, as is finding a subwindow buried behind other windows.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yup, I always found that with my Amiga.... (being able to make multiple selections from a menu using the alternate mouse button was handy as well ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

The point of the dock is not to need to have icons cluttering the screen.

Not needed. Dashboard and Expose.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Its worse than that.. there isn't really any 100% safe mechanism to create the lock file and be absolutely certain that your process created the lock. The usual one was to use the PID of the process so there was a smaller chance of two processes with the same PID creating the lock at the same time. Programmers obviously hadn't met Murphy. ;-)

I did meet Murphy BTW as I was designing a Unix system for a telephone exchange that had upto 16 diskless Unix SBCs booting at the same time from the same server with all the clients using NFS. Needless to say all the application processes had the same PID so that locking mechanism didn't last very long even though it did take some programmers a long time to accept that just because it works on a random collection of Sun workstations doesn't mean its going to work everywhere. Relying on user randomization like most NFS applications appeared to do at the time doesn't work when there aren't any users.

A question for you Unix/Linux code writers out there.. do applications still use the same mechanism for locks on NFS or has someone created a significantly better mechanism?

Reply to
dennis

Same as RISC OS. Each time I use my windose box - as I have to for some things - the operating system frustrates. One that really does annoy is clicking on a file you want to view and up comes the choice of which prog you want to use. Except that many won't even load that type of file...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you tell it and then it remembers. How does RISC OS know how to open a .doc file or any other file that has a new extension or type? Any OS can only open the application if something has told it which application to use.. this is usually the application but they don't all associate with file types when you install them, if so the OS has no choice but to either ask or just assume you are stupid and ignore you. Windows asks, what does RISC OS do?

Reply to
dennis

Huh? The dock IS icons cluttering the screen. They just happen to be at the bottom, thats all.

Or up the right, depending..

I turned off dashboard. It was chewing 30% of the CPU and was a complete PITA.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Wrong on every point, care to try again?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Daa dee dah. Back and forth we go. I think it's pretty clear that these days a Mac is probably better for beginners, or those not seeking a new hobby, or women.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You're right Dennis, I shouldn't call Macs crap.

I do think they're better for those who don't do regular backups, which is a backhanded compliment.

Looks like Steve is a Mac user :)

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Whereas in fact most of the people fitting those descriptions buy Windows preinstalled on a computer.

I can see that you think that pointless mudslinging is achieving something, but I suspect you don't realise that what it is achieving is the opposite of what you intend. That's is, you're coming across as someone who knows little but has a sackload of silly prejudices.

Reply to
Steve Firth

How do you work that out? Any system needs regular backups, Macs are little different to any other computer in that respect. A journaled filing system helps, but only an idiot would neglect to back up their system.

I am indeed a Mac user, and a Vax, Linux, Solaris, Irix, Windows, QNX and several other operating systems user. I'm sure that you had a point other than (another) feeble ad hominem, which you could have expressed more clearly if you had tried a little harder.

Reply to
Steve Firth

They are pretty good, BUT nowhere near as good as Mac adverstising says, or mac purchasers think, they are.

For home use, probably as good as it gets. Which isn't saying much..

For work, if they happen to run what you need, pricey, but solid. If they don't, totally useless, as I discovered.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

OK.

The reason for my 'in the fold' comment is that while Macs are BRILLIANT with Apple peripherals, peoples experience with non Apple stuff has been variable.

Though I accept that you and others have no problems doing so.

So for some buying non-Apple stuff for a Mac is straying 'outside the fold'

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Actually a journaled file system is no help at all in this case. Niether are disk mirrors which is another common error.

Reply to
dennis

That is true for all computers.. if they don't run the apps you want/need they may as well be put in the scrap.

Reply to
dennis

I would hardly describe myself as a beginner in computing or networking. However, in terms of a solid, commercially supported environment that can be relied upon to work, OS/X is good.

As far as the hardware platform is concerned, a PC and a Mac use the same components in many aspects such as the hard drives, so no issue there.

In other respects, it's an advantage to have a defined hardware platform. For example, if I need a power supply for a Mac notebook, I can walk into almost any Apple dealer in any city in the world and find one on the shelf. I am back running in less than half a day. If I need one for a specific Dell notebook, I would be screwed.

Reply to
Andy Hall

They are usually at the bottom, out of sight.

Another platform issue where OS capabilities are ahead of the hardware.

Reply to
Andy Hall