Number of yearly decapitations from ceiling fans

Yesterday I went into a public restaurant and saw an out of control ceiling fan only a few feet from my head. To begin it was going way too fast. If this was not bad enough, it apparently had a blade out of balance because the whole fan shaft was severely rocking in the pivot where it's attached to the ceiling. I had gone to this place to have a relaxing meal, instead I found myself more and more tense from watching that fan wobble and wondering when it would break loose from it's pivoting mount on the ceiling, and decapitate myself, my guest, or someone else.

I tried to get someone working at this establishment to turn the damn thing off, but they were busy, and apparently more interested in making money than the safety of their customers. Once, upon catching the eye of an employee situated across the room, I pointed to the fan, but nothing was done to stop it's dangerous wobble. I tried one more time to catch the attention of an employee, and could not get anyone.

At this point we had gotten coffee and placed our menu orders, but watching that fan, right above our heads finally got the best of me. I grabbed my coat, and told my guest we're leaving. I expected an employee to chase after us for at least the cost of the coffee, but no one did. I was actually hoping that they would come after us so I could explain to them about the reason we are leaving.

We went to another restaurant and had a great meal without having to fear our lives due to an out of control ceiling fan. I will be contacting the city building inspection department first thing Monday morning to report that restaurant and their dangerous ceiling fan. Hopefully no one was killed by that fan since we left there on Saturday evening.

I just wonder how many people are decapitated per year by these fans. Even when they are running at a slow speed and not wobbling, they make me nervous, but when they're running fast and wobbling, like this one was, I'm not going to stick around waiting to be decapitated at any moment. Personally I think they should have a speed limitation so they can not operate fast, and they whould have wobble sensors to shut them down when they wobble. Of course the government is too busy outlawing light bulbs and forcing us to get health insurance, than taking care of a REAL problem such as these fans. Maybe the reason health care is so costly, is because of all the decapitated people who are hauled to emergency rooms with their skulls hanging from nothing but a few tendons that managed to remain intact as these fan blades did their destruction to countless human lives.

Robert S

Reply to
robsmith3

Mythbusters debunked this. The momentum is not there. There is not enough weight spinning that fast with a sharp edge for decapitation.

need to ease up on that medical marijuana, pardner.

Is it middle school break already again?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Actually, Mythbusters has proven that you are more likely to be decapitated by a misfired cannonball than decapitated by a ceiling fan.

Reply to
pseudonym

"More than 19,700 people a year are injured by ceiling fans that are improperly mounted or incorrectly sized, according to Electrical Safety Foundation International, an organization that focuses on electrical safety in the home and the workplace." No decapitations reported. Injuries appear to result from fans falling on people due to incorrect mounting. The Consumer Product Safety Commission web site lists recalls of fans due to faulty parts.

Tomsic

Reply to
Nono

yer an idiot

Reply to
notbob

I don't believe you did that! From the story you told you are too stupid to know _how_ to go into a restaurant.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Wow, you tried a whole TWO times, by making eye contact and gesturing that you wanted to meet the employee upstairs for a quickie... How could they have possibly NOT gotten the message?

Reply to
dennisgauge

Saturday I went into a public restaurant and saw an out of control Notre Dame fan. MUCH more dangerous.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

More than 10,000 in Mississippi alone, but nobody cares because it's Mississippi.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

I thought that this group was for people seeking assistance with home repair questions, and those willing to offer helpful advice. All the mean-spirited comments don't contribute to the potential utility of the group. I'm angry too, but I try to channel it to where it might enable a positive outcome. Ad hominem attacks aren't productive.

Reply to
Peter

LMAO!!

Reply to
Steve Barker

and look...here you are too!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You ain't seen nothin' until you see an Alabama fan on game day. ...particularly the ones in Auburn last year. Nutz!

Reply to
krw

Not only that, even a slightly out-of-balance fan puts tremendous fatigue stress on the mounting points. I don't doubt many a fan has wobbled its way off the ceiling based on some of the things I've discovered rehabbing old houses.

While I can't imagine people getting their heads cut off, I'll bet there are a lot of head injuries that happen when a big ceiling fan vibrates itself free. I do a lot of CCTV work and the better PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) cameras like the Panasonics come with safety cables that limit how far the unit can fall should it break free. I suspect that fan wires have kept a number of people from getting a concussion - if the wires were screwed down tight enough.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

replying to robsmith3, DBGM wrote: Ok, that.... that little bit at the end there... is freaking hilarious. But it does raise an important point.

Mental health issues are no joke.

Reply to
DBGM

replying to DBGM, Patrushka wrote: Buddy, you'll be glad for Obamacare once your head is lopped off. It's covered.

Reply to
Patrushka

I liked this webpage until you brought politics into it!!!!

Reply to
ChairMan

Even if it's a pre-existing condition.

Reply to
Neill Massello

This isn't a "webpage." It's a Usenet newsgroup. Learn the difference.

Reply to
Roger Blake

WHOOSH!!!!!!! No shit Sherlock

Reply to