Re: Getting Paid

How about Paypal? Cheaper for a small business than cards or cheques?
--
*WHY IS THERE AN EXPIRATION DATE ON SOUR CREAM?

Mitch presented the following explanation :

Make it clear at the outset, that you do expect to be paid up in full the instant the work is complete and that failure to do so will incur a 10% per month levy, plus £20 charge for each extra trip incurred to collect the payment.
Print your terms at the bottom of every single quotation or estimate - two copies and have them sign one copy. If push comes to shove, use the courts.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
On 03/03/2014 11:10, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Or save the ink, as it won't be enforceable?
On 03/03/2014 11:17, GB wrote:

? It forms written evidence of a contract, and given satisfactory performance by the tradesman, it would be enforced by a court. The stated conditions are fair, although they may lose the tradesman some work he might otherwise regret taking on.
If it goes to court, he will also get legal costs awarded. Of course, actually *collecting* may be a problem...
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
On 03/03/2014 13:18, John Williamson wrote:

No, it falls foul of the UTICCR 99. Also, it's a penalty.
On 03/03/2014 15:32, GB wrote:

A better option to to specify a higher price with payment terms of (say) 7 days from completion, and then offer a discount for immediate payment.
--
Cheers,

John.

That would be an excellent idea. Of course, it would apply to both sides.

The snag with those can be getting the judgment enforced.
--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

I know of a few, and it's far from unheard of. A friend of mine is picking up a lot of business (he does small computer jobs - installing printers etc for people) due to being able to take cards.
Things like
http://store.apple.com/uk/product/HC065ZM
or https://www.izettle.com/gb
I think he uses the latter. Another friend does photography work and uses similar.
People want to pay on card. The company takes <3% of the total. They just add 5% to the bill to cover it. Amazing the number of people who take them up on that offer. I guess they want the credit.
Darren
On Mon, 3 Mar 2014 21:00:58 +0000 (UTC), D.M.Chapman wrote:

CostCo also offer a mobile card terminal.

Or simply don't have a requirement to carry cash. I have 25p in cash ATM, pay for everything via credit card that I pay off every month. About the only time I have cash (max £30) is when I'm working and will be getting lunch from a chippy...
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 03/03/2014 21:00, D.M.Chapman wrote:

If, by that you mean they make the extra 5% charge only to people paying by card, that is illegal. The Consumer Rights (Payment Surcharges) Regulations 2012 prohibit adding a surcharge that exceeds the cost of the card transaction.
Colin Bignell
Nightjar wrote:

The Regulations allow traders to recover the costs associated with the part icular method of payment, including monthly merchant fees and costs of card terminals etc, as well as the actual transaction fee. Traders can average those costs across transactions to arrive at the fee they charge consumers.
And small businesses are exempt until June 2014.
Owain
On 04/03/2014 12:23, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Even if monthly merchant fees and card terminal fees are charged (I only pay more than the transaction fees if they don't exceed a monthly minimum amount) it is unlikely they will amount to the more than 2% mark-up that seems to be applied here.

To quote guidance from Trading Standards:
'The specific definitions of a micro-business and a new business within the Regulations are quite complex and legal advice should be sought if you believe you may be exempt from the Regulations until 12 June 2014.'
Colin Bignell
On 04/03/2014 09:23, Nightjar wrote:

But who cares?

Trading Standards and the people who report things to them, assuming TS don't just pick it up in a routine trial purchase.
Colin Bignell
On 04/03/2014 09:23, Nightjar wrote:

It would make more sense to add it across the board. It then allows a little wiggle room for those asking for discounts for cash etc.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 05:45:19 -0700 (PDT), Martin Bonner

I think he meant "Stereotypes".
--
Regards, J B Good

On 03/04/2014 00:57 Johny B Good wrote: