Adjusting/enabling tilt mechanism on mitre saw?

I have a Macallister COD250DLSM sliding mitre saw. Works O.K. for me so far.

Now I need to cut some skirting at 45 degrees to do the corners. The skirting is too tall to cut with the board vertically. However the saw also has a scale which goes 45 degrees in each direction, so I should be able to cut the board with it lying flat.

Never used this facility before, and the user manual is buried somewhere in geological strata.

I unlock the lever on the back of the saw, and the saw will tilt 30 degrees in one direction and none in the other. Is there a standard way of increasing the degree of tilt and enabling it in the other direction? I can't see where the stops are which are preventing it tilting further although there are several Allen bolts around. However undoing everything may not be a good idea because they could just be fine adjustment, and if I screw up the vertical adjustment then I'm worse off than before.

I've looked online for the manual but not found one. Off to do some excavation in various locations but I thought I'd ask in parallel in case someone knows the answer.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Duh!

Took another look and found out what that funny looking silver bit was for. Pulls out to free saw off from 30 degrees in one direction only. No idea why there is that restriction anyway.

Now tilting all the way in both directions, and adjusted so the pointer matches the attached scale (although I have no idea how accurate the scale is).

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David

Just loosen one screw at a time to see what it does?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The silver component you pulled out is the quick reset to vertical device w hich pushed in allows movement in one direction up to 45deg. But only allow s the blade to return to vertical. When pulled out it allows tilt up to 45 deg. in either direction. If you are not getting the full 45 deg. tilt then you have not got the end of tilt restricter screws set correctly. These ar e found on either side of the central boss where the tilt indicator is. Wit h an Allen key adjust these until you get the full 45 deg. either way then tighten the locknuts. This should only need to be done once but do check on some scrap wood with a mitre square that you are actually getting 45 deg. Further adjustment may be required as well as zeroing the pointer with the angle indicator, this is done by slackening the two screws that hold the in dicator and slide it so it corresponds with the correct indication.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Probably not very accurate. Worth doing some trial cuts and checking if it is critical.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When doing internal corners, you will get better results butting 1 skirting up to wall with 90 degree cut, and using a coping saw to follow the profile of the moulding on the other skirting board.

Reply to
Eednud

But quite possibly more accurate than the accuracy of the "right-angle" wall that the skirting is going around.

+1 - and the check should be whether the boards make a neat joint around the wall.
Reply to
Martin Bonner

lot slower though

NT