Tilt-table mechanism?

I've inherited a lovely little round table with a pedestal base. It apparently used to have a hinged mounting on the top of the pedestal, so that the table top could be raised, allowing it to store flat against the wall. The table is currently in two pieces, with a shadow outline showing where the pivot was. Does anyone know an online or mail order source for such a gadget? Or anywhere in either Edinburgh or the Inverness area that might stock it?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

I've seen a lot of these on the Antiques Road Show. If it's old I think a restorer is the only option.

john

Reply to
John

It's old, and very attractive, but I doubt it's particularly valuable. I've seen tables with these mechanisms in metal (brass or iron), and it appears that was what was originally there. Getting around to making a wooden one (I have plans for one, somewhere) could take a long time. I want to use the table _this_ year!

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

A hinge and a bolt or two would probably do the job, but might require more work than finding an 'original'.

Have you tried the big ironmongers on George St in Edinburgh

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'll do something like that if I get truly desperate.

No - I didn't know there was one there. What street is it near?

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

89, George St, Edinburgh, Midlothian EH2 3EZ Tel: 0131 225 7381

it as between Castle St and Frederick St, on the north side.

Grays of George Street, Edinburgh or to use their official name, "James Gray & Son Ltd" are a favourite shop of mine from when I used to live round the corner from them many years ago. They are electrical contractors, hardware & electrical retailers but more than that are an Edinburgh institution. A very characteristic and uniquely Edinburgh establishment they have also achieved legendery status on the ed.general newsgroup.

Owain

Thanks, Owain. I expect to be in Edinburgh toward the end of this month, and my bank is nearby, so I'll stop by then. I used to live not that far from there, myself - on Shandwick Place. I'm surprised I didn't know about Grays.

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister