adding new kitchen sockets without part P

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 15:28:16 -0000 someone who may be stevelup wrote this:-

In other words, our costs. Councils don't earn money themselves but demand it from taxpayers.

Which would also increase our costs, as the Landfill Tax is increasing rapidly.

Reply to
David Hansen

Funny that, there must be many such people then...

Reply to
:Jerry:

Of course it doesn't, people still need to buy what they need to buy, what it *might* have done is make the supermarkets etc. think about how they package their produce in the first place. It's strange how many European counties manage to have nightly *domestic* waste collections, but in doing so people in those countries don't throw out any more 'brown' waste than they would if the collection was weekly, which it is during the cooler months of the year.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Which could be abolished over night, such a stealth tax should never have been introduced in the first place.

Reply to
:Jerry:

Or right, so one more dangerous old quarry (or what ever) doesn't get filled in but the same amount of methane is released - how does that help, other than fiddling the recycling figures?!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Hear hear.

How about just abolishing Two Jags? Oh goody. We nearly have, and his boss (once he's got enough frequent flyer miles)

Reply to
Andy Hall

Good thinking that man.

Is Alan from Essex, though?

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Dealing with" in the sense of simply paying outside contractors to deal with the issue. If they were really clever, they might even manage that without employing Accenture to tell them which firms to use. I'm not hopeful of that, though.

It does for me. I pay them; they take the problem away and deal with it. End of story. I don't have a need or a desire to get involved in how they go about that any more than I have a need to deal with the workings and servicing of my car. For the latter, I want to buy diesel for it, check the tyres periodically and get it serviced to make reasonably sure it will keep running. I don't need to know about the oil refinery or what the mechanic does.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No it isn't. I am not paying them to twist my arm, I am paying them to deal with taking away the rubbish.

They would be doing what they are paid to do. I'm not paying them in order to do half of their work for them. Moreover, as soon as there is the suggestion of coercion as there is here, I am not going to co-operate. They are acting beyond what they are being asked and paid to do and that is to get rid of the rubbish, frequently and without my having to deal with it.

If the taxes paid were reduced for this, I might start to be sympathetic. I'm paying them to dispose of the rubbish. How they go about that after they collect it from me is a matter for them.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No composter is likely to destroy the prions that cause BSE. Even hospital autoclaves fail.

Reply to
dennis

It's his spiritual home.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 19:37:15 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Me, me, me.

You do however go to the trouble of driving to a pump that dispenses diesel.

Reply to
David Hansen

.. and everybody else.

Normally not. It would be rather a waste of time to make an outing specifically to go and buy diesel for the Land Rover. I generally prefer to drop into the garage when I'm passing - much quicker that way.

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 12:33:09 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

You miss the point. I suspect that you don't drive up to any pump, stick the nearest nozzle into the car and expect diesel to pour out of it.

Reply to
David Hansen

Your point being what, exactly, considering that no more effort is needed to select the correct nozzle from the (almost universal) multi point dispensing pump now installed on most filling station forecourts.

Perhaps I should point out that Mr Hensen gives the impression of being a confirmed car hater on the uk.railway group, thinking that everyone can and should use public transport - even were such services do not exist in any meaningful way!...

Reply to
:Jerry:

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 13:52:22 +0100 someone who may be ":Jerry:" wrote this:-

About as much effort as putting materials for recycling into one of say four bins and residual waste into another.

Next contestant please.

Reply to
David Hansen

Not at all, it's like having on bin that accepts all waste, what happens behind the scenes is irrelevant to the end user - walk up to the one bin and throw the waste in - obviously you have not been near a modern filling station if you think drivers have to chose which pump dispenses the correct fuel.

You really must like loosing!

Reply to
:Jerry:

Actually that's exactly what happens. At a garage near to me, there is a pump intended for large volume diesel deliveries - e.g. for vans and the like. It's great because there is never a queue at it. Moreover, it delivers fuel really quickly because it's a wider bore hose and nozzle and probably more powerful pump as well - 95 litres in about a third of the time of standard pumps. Even better, the little wire is installed in the handle so that the nozzle can be put in the tank and latched on - no holding the thing. ... and they take Amex....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh he doesn't does he? Oh dear. I thought that it was only the Mayor of London who believed in that kind of thing...

Reply to
Andy Hall

On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 19:53:48 +0100 someone who may be Andy Hall wrote this:-

Glad to see that you don't drive up to any pump.

Reply to
David Hansen