commercial cookers, maybe OT

may be stretching the knowledge on this group a little now ... (but its a mine of information)

does anyone have any experience of commercial ovens. we are opening a cafe/cofeeshop, initially we'll be doing lunches, soups etc. we may start to open in the evenings for meals a wee while down the line. no deep fat fryers.

what sort of cooker would we need. most i've looked at are 3 phase,

20A we don't have a 3 phase supply (i'm no electrician but I think this equates to 60A single phase).

at the moment we have a 10mm (60A / 15kW?), 6mm (40A / 8/10kW) and 2 x

2.5 mm (22A / 3.5kW?) radials into the kitchen. the 10mm for a fuse box supplying the ring, the 6mm for a cooker, and the 2 x 2.5 mm as extras for heavier loads. i think we'll probably have to run another 10mm to give us more options.

but what i'm getting round to saying is what would be the minimum requirement for a cooker - we have no gas so its the hob thats the most important. in a boiling a massive pot of soup benchmark (which I know can take forever on our home cooker) is it going to be much faster ... is surface area of the hob as important as power?

Reply to
mcmook

if no gas mains - I'd consider gas cylinders outside piped through to a hob or two got to be more economical and efficent than electric

Reply to
Vass

I can't advise you on commercial cookers /per se/, but do bear in mind the diversity rules when considering your total electrical loading:

Table 1A - rating of circuits. The "first 10 amps + 30% of remainder" rule only applies to "household cookers". For other situations each cooker circuit should be rated for the full flat-out loading of the appliance.

Table 1B - max. demand on distribution boards. For non-domestic kitchens the guidance is to allow 100% full-load (FL) of the largest appliance, plus 80% FL of the 2nd largest, plus 60% FL of all others.

You will very quickly find yourself needing a 3x100 A 3-phase supply.

Reply to
Andy Wade