Commercial estimating (exterior)

Hello all,

I am trying to come up with a price on an exterior of a hotel. I am just starting out on my own and have been primarily a residential painter most of my career. I have no problem looking at a residential job and quoting a price. I have done quite a few commercial jobs when working for previous companies...but mainly interior. I have painted dryvitt before but not on this scale. I am trying to bid it so I can land the job, make a good wage and not screw up the eco-system of local bidding with my price. I have very little overhead and I have a collection of good painter friends that work as subs when I need them. The job is about 18,000 square feet. I am painting the dryvitt only, 2 main colors and a couple pieces that are accented with another color that I will paint by hand. I plan to spay it from a lift. I can tweak the numbers and the variables but basically I am looking for a labor only price per square foot as my starting point. I can add the rest of the costs and variables to that. I live in PA. Thank you in advance!

Reply to
marksimon112

Does it take longer to paint Dryvit compared to other materials? Just add that factor.

Just break down the size to be equal to a few houses. If a given house is, say $1000 and this has the same area as four houses, easy enough to figure. You may also want to find out if you need some minimum of liability insurance coverage and workman's comp to bid or at least to accept the job if awarded.

You will also have to look at equipment needed. You may have lift rental, need a new sprayer, etc.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski