Estimating cost of a Ahphalt Driveway

HI Folks, I looking into repaving my driveway. I want just a new smooth top coat , No extra repair work needs to be done. The total is about 1200 square feet. One contractor gave me a price of $2 a square foot and about 2-3 hours to complete the job.

I'm trying to calculate estimated cost would be for the contractor, So that I can negotiate a fair price. Some variables that I need, Approx $40-$50 per ton for the asphalt, How mush is needed? , 3 Laborers for 2-3 hours, Cost to run and transport the equipment, ect ect.

Thanks in advance. Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

Don't forget the purchase and up keep on the equipment too. His raw cost is probably 1/4 or less of what he wants to charge you. By the time you add all the extra costs of doing business, if he is lucky, he will clear maybe

10-15%, or about $350. Many people forget that the 2-3 hour job may require $250,000+ worth the equipment to do the job. If you want to make sure you are getting a good price, shop around, get a few more quotes. Greg
Reply to
Greg O

Be sure to factor in Workman's Comp insurance. Liability insurance, benefits for his labor, holiday and vacation pay, fuel, payroll taxes, rent for the garage where he keeps his equipment, office help, payroll services, shop supplies, cleaning equipment, office staff, utilities, property taxes, and probably a few more things I've not hit yet. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You are wasting time that could be used to get other estimates.

The cost of materials and labor for a job like this is a very small portion of the actual cost of doing business.

If you spewed a bunch of that crap at me, I would wish you well and walk.

I'm not in that business, but I don't negotiate my prices. I only offer one level of service and it is first class. The rates are published and I never discount them to someone who negotiates. I sometimes discount them to people who could use a break.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Dick,

The price is too high. We did our driveway 2 years ago. We had a new smooth top and they had to smooth out the driveway near the garage (if not the driveway would be higher than the garage floor). In addition we added the extended driveway so we can park the 3rd car without blocking the garage for only $1050. Shop & ask around, you will find out the difference would be significant.

Reply to
Hai Pham

The price of oil now is going to make a significant increase in the cost.

Bill

Reply to
berkshire bill

Yeah, right. The guys I see doing driveways have clapped-out old screeds and trucks and rollers that leak hydraulic oil all over the streets. They must have upwards of $20K invested in that stuff. Take a look a local equipment auctions or on eBay what those used machines bring.

The best way to shop for paving work is to go the asphalt plant and ask the plant management for references of who does good work at fair prices on

*small jobs*. The best contractors tend to stay away from anything smaller than an 747 runway, and the low-end driveway business is rife with ruthless crooks with a government license and book full of smiling testimonial photographs.
Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I agree with the advice to just get a couple more estimates from reliable contractors. To try to work backwards and calculate all kinds of costs and what a fair profit, is, etc. for a small job like this doesn't make sense.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Thanks Folks for the advice. I'll contact my nearest supplier and ask for references.

Dick

Reply to
Platebanger

Sounds high. Generally around here (and I am in the expensive NorthEast) it should be $1 -$1.50 per square foot.

NEVER FORGET!!!

jtees4

I did forget about the oil price thing..it may be more now.

NEVER FORGET!!!

jtees4