Subject Author Posted Replies

Ideas for kitchen splashback ... ?
The kitchen renovation continues (slowly!) and now I need to decide on the splashback behind the cooker, which is set in an alcove (an old fireplace) about 1900 wide. I'd prefer to avoid tiles and...
8
8

Majority Internet Radios
anybody else having problems with majority internet radios recently not connecting and getting kicked off ?
47
47

"Ring" Doorbells
I was idly looking at these on Amazon when I saw the rather astonishing statement that the battery powered versions cannot be heard inside your home, only outside. How will I know if somebody is at...
20
20

Size of soakaway
Scenario: Double garage built 20yrs ago at the bottom of a garden, with proper planning permission. But instead of digging a soakaway as on the plans, just sent the rainwater from the roof into a...
23
23

Punching out tabs in thin metal
I plan to create a dozen prototype items that use a platform made from 1.5mm thick mild steel sheet. The bit I need advice on is how to punch out the tabs as shown in this link. that at, this stage,...
26
26

Painting silicone-treated surfaces
Many silicone-treated surfaces do not accept paint, at least not water-based paint (not sure about oil-based paint). Is there anything I can treat a silicone surface to make it wettable by a...
5
5

OT Contacting some serivce companies
I recently attempted to send a parcel via DPD to Durham. I booked and paid for it on-line, and had an e-mail of confirmation along with DPD parcel labels. Briefly the attempt failed and DPD never...
22
22

I am not a robot
I am getting an awful lot of instances where Google and Startpage don't want to answer my questions until I demonstrate that I am not a robot. Duckduckgo seems unaffected by this. (So just use...
28
28

Doorbell acting weird
Just moved into a house that had a 'chime' doorbell, with power fed from its own MCB in the CU and through a transformer with 8V output, thereby presenting 8V to the chime to make it work. I never...
31
31

Filling outside render
Hi all, We have a rendered outside wall that has been left bare for years. Now decided to paint it. Having put the first coat on you can see a number of gouges/ little bits missing etc. What would you...
12
12

DVD player unresponsive
A neighbor even more ancient than myself has asked me to look at his DVD player which despite the replacement of the plug fuse remains unswitchonable. It's a Toshiba Model # SD2010KB. Is it likely...
13
13

Flexible LED (or similar)
I have a wood T&G ceiling (3.3m x 3.3m) on outdoor structure. With a void in the middle of 1.5 x 2.0m Currently no lights, I had liked the idea someone suggested of a ‘starry sky’ effect using...
4
4

Outlook 365 problem
Outlook has corrupted all my emails: Inbox, Sent Items etc. They are all now showing in the wrong font and spacing. This occurred when I changed one email to Plain Text (as I was having problems) then...
26
26

update on unrepairable freezer
As in my previous post the thermostat inside our 4 year old Hotpoint freezer has failed and isn't replaceable due to being buried in the foam lining of the casing. Ive bought this Inkbird temp...
12
12

Car insurance - a warning re quotes
Business news on the radio this morning. A representative from the vehicle insurance industry was speaking of their rising costs, noting that last year they paid out 110% of the money they took in in...
45
45