Flexible LED (or similar)

I have a wood T&G ceiling (3.3m x 3.3m) on outdoor structure. With a void in the middle of 1.5 x 2.0m

Currently no lights, I had liked the idea someone suggested of a ‘starry sky’ effect using fibre optics. However, getting close to £800 to put that in place.

is nice but once you buy that and Formex mounting board … not cheap.

Plan B is that I put a small lip of wood (like a ~50mm horizontal pelmet or similar) around the internal void, and put some form of LED strip behind that ….. would sine light up …. But not be visible itself.

A Question looking for help on

This is an outside structure - there are no walls its pitched roof structure over a hot tub ….. so although never exposed to rain or direct outside, it will be subject to moisture. Been looking at the flexible LED strips such as:

though are indoor only ….. anybody know of outdoor ones I have seen
These aren’t for hidden light source though – they are to be on show.

Anybody any suggestions.

Reply to
Sargan

This might answer your question

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

You can get LED tape lights in a weatherproof version:

They have a polymer coating all over the component side of the tape.

I used one of those under the eves of my log cabin:

(did that in 2016 and they are still fine)

Reply to
John Rumm

Gimmicky fibre optic lights were a fad a while ago. Get one or more, replace light source with led, hide body of lamp in a hole & splay the fibres out, cutting them to varying lengths & gluing to ceiling. Cover with something that hides the lamp & fibres eg textured glass or plastic. Rob is now your relative & you still have most of the £800.

Or if you want to be cheap, cover ceiling with crinkled ali foil & point a handful of colour LEDs up at it from the floor.

Reply to
Animal

Have you considered some LED "christmas lights"?

Find some that have 3mm or 5mm LEDs and drill lots of 3mm / 5mm holes where the hole spacing is less than the cable distance between adjacent LEDs and push each led into each drilled hole from behind?

You can get colour changing Christmas light sets as well.

All the wiring would be conveniently in the void.

TLC direct and CPC tend to have an impressive range of christmas lights and won't be long now before they launch their ranges for this year

Reply to
SH