Filling outside render

Hi all,

We have a rendered outside wall that has been left bare for years. Now decided to paint it. Having put the first coat on you can see a number of gouges/ little bits missing etc. What would you recommend I use to fill it? The other issue is that the render has a texture to it (a bit like sandpaper) so whatever I use would need to have a similar texture.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Lee.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

I've used epoxy mortar filled with a bit of sand. You might also try more mortar with some PVA added

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A photo would help…

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The sandpaper type finish can be applied by using a stiff bristle brush, the type of brush that comes with a dustpan and brush set. NOT a soft brush! Whilst the filler material is close to setting/curing tap it gently with bristles of the brush.

Perhaps just do a test of the filler and texturing technique first.

Reply to
alan_m

I have found this stuff to be excellent. I have used it to repair and fill depressions in concrete floors and it has survived years of being driven over.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Hi Richard

Did you forget to post the link 😀?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Great thanks will take a look.

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Ooooops! Forgot the link, just a senior moment

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Funnily enough I was looking at that earlier. I couldn't determine whether it would adhere to a painted surface or not. Have you tried by any chance?

Reply to
Lee Nowell

Dunno I only used it on bare concrete

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

To be safe wire brush before application

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One needs to be a little careful with render, that water has not already got behind it through some of your cracks. You can often hear this if you tap it with something like a wooden mallet all over, you hear hollow parts. It then becomes a much more expensive job of bring off the loose render and putting new back. Not a job for DIY in my view. Assuming this is not the case, though, I'd be tempted just to fill it with whatever product these days are suggested.In the main as long as the coating you use is pushed into the surface well the textured effect stays. You can get textured paint, which looks to me like it has pulverised lava in it, but you need to try to get it constant. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Beware of panting render, if not breathable it may trap water in the wall and cause problems.

Lee Nowell snipped-for-privacy@nowell.me wrote:

Reply to
me9