Ruud - outside fan replacement

It looks like the fan in the outside portion of my AC unit has given up - it started making a squealing noise last night, and finally just stopped spinning this AM. If I shut off the outside unit for a while, and let it cool down real good, when I turn the power back on the fan will spin briefly, then start with the noise again, and finally just freeze up - sounds like a bearing has worn out or something. The information plate on the outside unit says that it's is a UAKA 037JAZ, and the fan motor is F.L.A

1.3 HP 1/5.

It looks like replacing the fan motor should be no big deal - open the unit, disconnect the old fan, connect the new fan, and everything gets cool again.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks!

Reply to
Texas Yankee

Yeah. Try finding a moter that fits on that mounting plate at some place other than a dealer or distributor.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

This is TRurtle.

One thing, They need oiling every years weither they need it or not and you would not being doing this work. Fan Motor have needs too.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

That might be good advice except it's a Rheem and it requires a short end bell to end bell length of about 4 inches. If you use the universial on it you will get the 6" End bell to end bell and hold the fan blade to high to make the air flow right. You better use the OEM to get it right.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

"Red Neckerson" wrote

I'll second that. A TripSaver motor will work, but most of the time you have to drill holes through the lid and mount it that way. If you don't get it centered properly you end up will a good wobble while it's running (which will eventually cause the "mounting bolts" to snap off). Then, like most Rheems/Ruuds, you will have a helluva time getting the blade off the shaft. Then once you do get all of the rust off and get it mounted on the new motor, it wobbles and is real noisy because one or more of the counterweight "clips" has rusted and fallen off making it out of balance (which is probably what killed the original motor by "eating" the bearings up). You got to make sure the new blade has the same pitch or that can throw everything off. Then you are going to have to install a seperate capacitor because the new motor requirement will not match the MFs of the original dual capacitor on the unit (plus it is good practice to replace the capacitor when installing a new motor). Plus, is that one of the 850RPM motors or the 1075?

Not trying to sound negative. Just giving some things you need to take into consideration. It is NOT a simple swap out of a motor.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Thanks to all for the information.

I had an HVAC guy from a Electrical / Plumbing / Mechanical company I've used previously come out to do the job this AM - he replaced the fan motor and the contactor - the fan motor and capacitor part is listed as $460, the contactor part is listed as $97.50, and they charged me $65 for diagnostics (the service call) - total cost to me was $622.50.

Fair price?

Reply to
Texas Yankee

What corners did he cut for doing it for such a low price? Are these black market parts without warranties?

Sounds like a hack to me.

Reply to
Oscar_Lives