Subject Author Posted Replies

Rate of Flow versus Pressure
As is utterly predictable, grab the nearest diversion when the polls look b ad. "Donald Trump?s hair has mesmerized many observers since he began h is career in politics, but now the president?s own...
2
2

Crap Tools
This morning I tried to undo the oil *filler* plug of my BMW's ZF 6-speed automatic gearbox so I could change the oil and filter. I managed to find an allen key that was an excellent fit (8mm) but the...
21
21

Wasps
We have a very large wasps' nest inside the eaves of our roof - football size. (My question is at the end of this message.) I've repeatedly sprayed it with the excellent Rentokil "Wasp Nest...
21
21

FTTS (Fibre to the shed)
Hi All, I have settled on running my mains cable to the shed in buried conduit and have decided a fixed network link makes sense. I was going to run CAT5 (naughty but cheap (or so I thought)). But it...
24
24

Air source heat pumps - difference from aircon (if any)?
I was thinking about air conditioning anyway - longer term fit because I assume that installers will be very busy at the moment - and assumed that the standard split unit air conditioning (compressor...
13
13

Problems drilling hard concrete and using screw anchors
I finally got round to putting up the handrail I mentioned in a post a week or two ago. The company I bought it from modified their standard design after I sent them photos where it was to be fitted....
55
55

Installing Heat reflective film to windows
Does this work as effectively if you put it on the inside of the glass or doesit need to go on the outside Is it an easy thing to install or do you end up with a wrinkly mess if you aren't skilled at...
25
25

Restoring 1970's planer - gearbox oil
I'm restoring a Cooksley 12x9 planer thicknesser from the late 1960's. This has a separate thicknesser feed motor and gearbox, and it's very doubtful if the gearbox oil has ever been changed let alone...
6
6

Expanded Polystyrene/Styrofoam
This is just idle curiosity so please do not spend too much time on an answer or an explanation but... I have just taken delivery of a new washing machine which has left me with loads of pre-molded...
9
9

Sideways 2 way stairs switches ?
I have an idea to mount the stairs switches sideways. Because having a switch up usually means its off, but this is not so with 2 way stairs lights etc. I thought of someone changing the bulb thinking...
21
21

OT: hydrogen economy
Knowing the wide interest, this seems to me to be quite a sensible long term review Interested in the efficiency comparison between electric and hydrogen vehicles, once you add in all the conversion...
38
38

Running a freezer intermittantly musings...
Currently looking an an interesting electricity tariff that has just 3 ?on peak? hours per days, all the rest are charged at a variable off-peak rate. We?re soon becoming an EV owning household so our...
31
31

FUBAR
Scotland appears to be well fecked...
3
3

LBC inspection
You may recall from previous threads that in the process of renewing our ki tchen and permanently wiring up the garage this has involved quite extensiv e rewiring of our electrical system, involving...
15
15

Sand day
I felt like helping Jim. He?s helped me enough times. So ?Can I borrow your big stepladder? ended up with me going round on Sunday morning to cut his extremely tall privet, using my long reach hedge...
1
1