Expanded Polystyrene/Styrofoam

I seem to remember those hot wire tools that could cut expanded polystyrene - as I remember they gave it a nice smooth surface but I don't think it made it in any way stronger so I don't think your plan would work.

I once had success mending a fridge door shelf with Araldite using some kind of mould to shape it as I needed but I can't remember for the life of me how I stopped it sticking to the mould!

Reply to
Murmansk

Hot wire works quite well leaving a smooth surface not the fryable, bobbly, surface of broken expanded polystyrene. I think a hot knife unless temeprature controlled will either not cut at all or end up as a very sticky molten mass. The temperature of a hot wire is similary fairly critcal but easy to adjust by varying the current through the wire.

Not that would be noticeable.

I think that depends on what is broken and the stress it is under. As packing behind a crack to stop it moving it might work but probably not as a lug to take the shelf.

Or try very gently melting the poly down and casting it in a mould or perhaps even moulding it into shape with your fingers. At the temperatures you can handle it shouldn't be sticky but might be quite firm.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I don't know if it would work for an epoxy resin, but polyester film (Mylar) can be used to allow release of polyester resins.

Reply to
polygonum_on_google

This is just idle curiosity so please do not spend too much time on an answer or an explanation but...

I have just taken delivery of a new washing machine which has left me with loads of pre-molded expanded polystyrene sections and -erme- a new washing machine.

If I were to use a hot wire or hot knife to cut the polystyrene into new shapes would the hot tool seal the cut surfaces with a melted skin and would that skin give the shape any structural integrity - or will the pieces just remain as crumbly as they were before? I do not have many specific ideas about how to use this foam but for instance I had been pondering the idea of molding a piece of thermoplastic sheet to replace a broken part from the refrigerator door and if instead I could shape a piece of expanded polystyrene it might be a whole lot easier. But would it have the strength to hold the bottle shelf in place?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

you can cut EPS with a hot wire but the surface is still porous. in the model plane fraternity that, or cutting and shaping with knives and saws and sandpaper, is the way it is shaped. It has a lousy surface texture so it is normally covered in something like tissue or even brown paper using PVA, before being painted - emulsion paint or acrylic is pretty OK.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In a word, no. The best stuff has a film on it already on the exposed bits, but is seldom used for consumer grade packaging. It might seal a bit but its not very strong. Its designed to give under compression for cushioning, but has poor sheer strength at all. I remember using it for model aircraft and it split very readily if not sealed. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

Vaseline. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)

You can cut it with any sharp blade box cutter is my tool of choice. Put newspaper down to catch the tiny spheres that drop off.

Carve to shape dip in PVA and then you can use it as a mould or make a plaster cast from it to use as a mould depending which is easier.

Expect to have lots of little polystyrene spheres floating around.

Reply to
Martin Brown

No. You might make it more useful by dissolving it in solvent, then you can mould or glue with it. It's PS though, a relatively brittle plastic.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

Thanks for all the suggestions which I have taken on board.

Cheers,

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell