Styrofoam

  More specifically , the shaped foam that things like ceiling fans come packaged in . Where do you dispose of this stuff ? We don't have curbside trash pickup - hell , we don't even have curbs . The recycle center here doesn't want it , I don't want it ... I don't want to burn it , toxic smoke and residues . Oh what to do , what to do .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

I'd burn it if no neighbors around. Polystyrene is recyclable but a lot of recycling places don't want to deal with it. I throw it in the regular trash. Our recycling trash receptacle will take polyethylene bottles but will not take polyethylene bags. They take tin cans but not pieces of iron - stupid.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

It's not recycled in our area - it goes to the landfill.

The Habitat Re-Store might accept clean large pieces ?

John T.

Reply to
hubops

  These are molded to shape pieces used for packing "stuff" - in this case 3 ceiling fans , an instant pot cooker , a stand mixer , and more . Odd shapes and useless for anything . Occasionally I'll get a piece that I can shape and use as a lost-foam mold for an aluminum pour . None of the pile I currently have is usable though . I guess I'll go ahead and just burn it . We do live w-a-a-a-y out in the country , not likely to anger the neighbors .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

What do you do with your household trash and garbage? Throw it on the front lawn to keep people off it? That's where it goes here, into the trash. Town picks it up once a week.

Reply to
trader_4

These days most "recycle" goes to the landfill. Snag's problem is he doesn't have trash pickup. Dig a hole and bury it. You are sequestering carbon and that is supposed to be a good thing. ;-)

Reply to
gfretwell

throw it into a pail of gasoline to disolve it then let the gas evaporate and you have a chunk of styrene

Reply to
Clare Snyder

  Sounds good so far , what will I do with a chunk of styrene ?
Reply to
Terry Coombs

First, a technicality. Styrofoam in a brand of extruded polystyrene plastic made by Dow Chemical. What you have is expanded polystyrene molded to a shape.

Some places take it for recycling, however, it it bulky and either needs to be compressed/densified or ground for re-use by an EPS molder. Unless nearby it is expensive to ship.

Makes great fuel in a trash to energy plant as it is 18,000 BTU per pound and helps other soggy trash burn. It gives off carbon monoxide and soot when burned so you don't want to breath the smoke from an open fire.

In your case it would be best to toss it into a dumpster next time you go to town. Some places do take it but I have no idea where you are so can't help.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Frame it, sell it as art.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

  I guess that's no weirder than feces art ... I saw one once , it was a pretty shitty looking piece .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

Use it for a block,or a brick, or a stone - it's easy to cut with a saw.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

  I'm in Stone County Arkansas , almost a hundred miles from the nearest freeway ... there are a lot of things we don't have here , both good and bad .
Reply to
Terry Coombs

And the attendant air pollution fumes that come from a gallon of evaporating gasoline ;-)

Reply to
Wade Garrett

...or if you live in an area controlled by Democrat politicians, they'll probably register it to vote...

Reply to
Wade Garrett

then put it in your car gas tank.

Reply to
trader_4

I'd be careful tossing it into someone else's dumpster. That's illegal. Unlikely anyone is going to catch you and bust you, but it is what it is. A friend of mine recently was moving and he contracted for a roll off dumpster. He had it sitting in his driveway, still almost empty. One afternoon he went out for a few hours and when he came back it was full. Cops told him it happens frequently. He had no cameras or anything to show who did it. And he was screwed, he had to pay for another dumpster.

He said what went in there looked like household trash and stuff. If it was me, I'd be so pissed I would have gone searching to try to find stuff with names and addresses and try to track down where it came from. I'd bet there is a good chance if you found an address and went there, you'd find they paid someone to do cleanup and take it away and maybe even paid a disposal fee. Then I would go to the cops and press charges. But he didn't investigate.

Reply to
trader_4

Break it up to fit a small bag. I'd stop for a taco. Most every fast food has a trash can outside for your remnants of lunch, toss it in on the way out of the parking lot. Same with the vac at the car wash or the gas station.

Technically it may be illegal but not as blatant as filling a dumpster.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Great tip from a democrat on how to make someone else pay for trash disposal.

Reply to
Larry

I didn't see your idea posted. Did I happen to miss it?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski