Styrofoam

Reminds me of an Englishman working in Geneva that said he hated the Swiss. His apartments dumpster was full and he put his trash in a neighboring apartments dumpster which resulted in a visit from the police.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

How dare he bring politics into this newsgroup?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You are in the boonies. I would burn it along with other stuff you probably burn like yard waste. Before they started recycling pickup here I would burn plastics in the fire place. They would help the fire and bring warmth.

Another thought is you might find use for the waste in home insulation. Crumbled up and added to flocking type insulation in attic should not be a hazard and will improve insulation.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

He just does not like environmentally sound ideas from a conservative voter. No matter, the type of people that call anyone they disagree with a democrat is not very bright.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Then sell the car before you try to start it?

That much dissolved styrene in the gas would plug up the fuel system immediately causing thousands in damage.

Reply to
gfretwell

Mine was "bury it". I bet out in the boonies like that he has a machine or knows someone who does. Use the bucket to compress it as much as you can and bury it. Environmentally, you are "sequestering carbon". That is supposed to be a good thing.

Reply to
gfretwell

Sure, I pay a garbage company to make it disappear.

Reply to
Larry
[snip]

Here they do take if for recycling, but suggest you put it in a bag since it's so light it doesn't stay in the trucks otherwise.

[snip]
Reply to
Mark Lloyd
[snip]

I have put things in other peoples dumpsters, but only small things and never anything that wouldn't be acceptable.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Sure. Bury it. The styrene monomers and other chemicals leech into the groundwater and your kids drink it. Good idea.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Nah, it is pretty inert. People have been drinking hot offee from it for years. Tons of it in landfills.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

He does not have that option

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That stuff is pretty stable ... for 10,000 years if you believe the hype. That is why it is used so much for food containers and coffee cups.

Reply to
gfretwell

Don't confuse the amount of time that it takes to completely degrade (which is 500 years for styrofoam) with the time it takes to start leaching benzine and other chemicals which happens over the entire time period it is buried.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That 500 years assumes UV from the sun is hitting it.

Reply to
gfretwell

Irrelevent. The material doesn't wait 500 years then suddenly decompose completely. It decomposes over the entire period releasing toxins the entire time.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Then ban those dangerous styrofoam beverage cups! Hot coffee is releasing toxins that will kill us all! Ban those cheap coolers for food. Won't someone please think of the children?

Reply to
trader_4

Without the exposure to the sun and elements, it will decompose very slowly and the release of toxins will be far below the ability of the earth to assimilate them. I opened up a wall with rigid foam insulation planks recently that has been here for a half a century and it looks and feels brand new. OTOH I pick up foam in the river that hasn't been in the weather more than a year that is badly decomposed.

Reply to
gfretwell

Surely disposing of them properly (e.g. recycling or landfill[*]) is sufficient.

[*] In most states, landfills are required to collect and treat any leachate.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

[snip]

Ah, but the topic was burying the foam randomly where it is exposed to water, microbes and chemicals in the soil; not using it as a building material (which is a form of sequestration for the life of the building).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal