Restoring 1970's planer - gearbox oil

I'm restoring a Cooksley 12x9 planer thicknesser from the late 1960's. This has a separate thicknesser feed motor and gearbox, and it's very doubtful if the gearbox oil has ever been changed let alone topped up.

The gearbox has a 14:1 ratio from a two speed Dahlander wound motor.

Fortunately I've found a copy of the maintenance manual on the net, which calls up this oil "BP Energol GR 425- EP"

I can't find any mention of this oil or an equivalent - can any body give any guidance please.

Reply to
Rob Graham

BP/Castrol say Energol oils are part of their legacy range and being phased out, I had a nose around on their website, they seemed to suggest Alpha SP as replacement

But looks like you'll have to choose between going up, or down on the viscosity ... maybe contact them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

In an "ordinary" industrial gearbox, one viscosity grade either way will not matter. With a thicker oil, it will warm up a shade and drop the viscosity. Similarly a thinner oil will run a shade cooler.

I wouldn't apply this principle to a modern military helicopter where there may be narrower margins.

The important thing is to chose an EP lubricant so Alpha SP should be fine. No need to stick to BP if you have another EP gear oil of the correct viscosity.

Reply to
newshound

Many thanks guys - I was assuming the '430' meant the viscosity but didn't know. I imagine that going up to 460 wouldn't make much difference. If I went down to 320 that would make it easier for the motor but would there be a danger then of oil getting passed the shaft seals?

Reply to
Rob Graham

I would not expect so; but (given its age) if you have shaft or seal wear you might get a bit of weeping. FWIW if it were mine I would probably start with the thinner oil. But as I said, I'd be happy with more or less any 320 EP gear oil. Google gives you loads. I'm guessing a litre might be plenty, Shell Omala for £13 would be a Rolls Royce solution.

Reply to
newshound

Any woodworking machine that's used tends to accumulate wood dust everywhere, and that soaks up any oil just fine:-)

FWIW, this planer:

has a gearbox in the bottom for the feed, with a filler cap and a little dipstick. I was giving it a little TLC (for the first time in many years), and checked the oil level, and it was bone dry. It had been run like that in a production setting, for very many years...

I'd consider flushing the gearbox, i.e. running it with a cheap(er) oil and no load, and then draining that once the crud has come loose, and only then fill the "good" oil.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

This task has not progressed other than I have now got the motor and gearbox out of the planer/thicknesser casing. I was intrigued by a plated screw low down on the gearbox housing which was totally inaccessible when in the P/T, so unscrewed it to be met by much outflow of oil - quick, quick, back in again!!

I did appear this was the oil level marker, and that there might be a bit more oil than this level . I drained all the oil out and on a quick guess I reckon that the oil level should be about a quarter of a litre - I drained off 1 1/2 litre!! Slightly explained the lttle bit of leakage past the seal. So well maintained by 'just throw some oil into the filler on the top'!!

I got as far as getting this motor apart to find both star points (dual speed 2 pole / 4 pole motor) but am having an on-going CH boiler problem which needs instant addressing.

Reply to
Rob Graham