Re: Those wonderful 1970's

After 40 years of almost continuous service, this week I took my

> faithful (sic) Reader's Digest pine bed to the dump, probably to re- > incarnate as chipboard.

Did it come in little pieces stuck to the cover, spread over 500 issues, to be painstakingly stuck together?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Polythene records and households that cuoldnt afford any furniture.

NT

Reply to
NT

I do not have a single item of the 70's in my possession.

I do have however, plenty of items dating back to the early part of the 20th century.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I still have my Quad amplifier and IMF monitor speakers, all still working fine.

Reply to
Tim Streater

having suffered a mains failure this morning, I dug out my battery portable radio. It still has the 1978 stickers on it that the BBC kindly gave us to mark the postitions on the dial of the 'shuffled' stations. That probably puts a date on the radio, too. (no, not Radio Two)

Reply to
charles

In 1973 I got a brand new Yamaha moped FS1E for around £60

1n 1974 I got a brand new Yamaha RD200 £208 My dad got a new Honda Civic 1974 £1500 Petrol was 50p Gallon I still have the ration book for my Moped. 1976 I got a 500cc Yam for £500 brand new.
Reply to
Gary

I remember the Tufty Club:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

the USA in the 60's had funnier safety announcments

ARWadsworth

I met my wife in the 70s - and I've still got her!

Reply to
Farmer Giles

I've got a 1970s Kenwood tuner/amp on the desk beside me, with the quintessential wood grain effect case and glowing display (there's even a sticker on the side proudly declaring "simulated wood grain finish" :-)

It's a wonderful bit of kit; all the metal controls just "feel" right - I reckon some designer spent hours getting the clickyness of the switches, the friction on the tuning control etc. just-so.

The only downside is that one of the speaker source buttons has snapped off (it was missing when I got it from previous owners); it doesn't stop it from functioning, but it would be nice to get it cosmetically back into top condition one day. I'm not sure how hard finding some of the transistors would be - but equivalents are presumably available, and I do have the schematics for it, so should be able to keep it going for years.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

Same here - but Spendors. And a couple of pairs of LS3/5a. And a Revox or two. Thorens turntable and SME arm. Got a B&D drill from the '60s still going although it was overhauled at the factory in the '70s and I think the only bit left is the body. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wow! Has she still got her flared pants on?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

I bet Drivel was a hippy

...Until he tried snorting coke,

... and the bubbles got up his nose

Reply to
geoff

of the gay persuasion.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Yes, I have the Revox/SME combo also, purchased in the early 70s. When I returned from the US in 1993, I unmounted the arm for shipping, and in fact haven't ever put it back.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Still use my record deck quite regularly. Although mainly for transferring vinyl to digital.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

(Thorens TD160/SME/Shure V15III into Arcam Alpha 10. DIY speakers from a design in HFN&RR "A no-compromise loudpeaker for the home constructor).

ICBA with that. Perhaps once I'm retired and have more time.

On a related note, I've just bought a Logitech Squeebox Duet streaming music player which seems like a nice bit of kit; it's to upgrade my Squeezebox 1, which although a nice piece of kit, has a UI from the ark.

Reply to
Huge

I don't think it works like that. I have no idea how I found time to go to work :D

Reply to
brass monkey

Still got my 1970's A&R A60 amp but it's lying unused as it's got a fault that I've never managed to fix.

Reply to
Mark

I have a tape recorder in a similar state (doing nothing waiting for sufficient TUITs to accumulate)... It's a Studer which had cost over =A3400 in the mid 60's, and was sold off for a fiver in the late 70's, which was when I got hold of it. It appears to work but there's olfactory evidence of something getting rather hotter than it ought to, and I've never managed to work out what. It also needs some replacement heads... I do also have a genuine 70's tape recorder - a Ferrograph Logic 7 - which still worked fine the last time I turned it on.

Reply to
docholliday