OT: hydrogen economy

Knowing the wide interest, this seems to me to be quite a sensible long term review

Interested in the efficiency comparison between electric and hydrogen vehicles, once you add in all the conversion efficiencies.

Reply to
newshound

Still sounds like a pitch for snake oil.

So far the best way to store hydrogen, is to bolt on a carbon and maybe oxygen atoms.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

another idiotic article that ignores the basics

Reply to
Nick Cat

Please explain

Reply to
newshound

The article pretty much did it for you.

That's the problem with too much mass media. It allows people with little aptitude for critical reasoning to pick up three word (or two if they struggle with three) slogans as if they are somehow magic bullets.

Articles like that are really intended as a sort of greasy primer to help open peoples wallets.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Fairy nuff, but will try to keep it quick, just dropping in for a moment at the mo.

  1. H2 is not a fuel source, it is an intermediate storage medium. Ie you ca n't dig it up, you can only convert other fuels to H2. Converting anything to H2 is not 100% efficient and requires costly plant. Bottling it also ent ails energy losses & costs. And as an intermediate it is worse than every o ther option in other ways too. It is the most dangerous of all options, sig nificantly more so than LPG (which can be drilled out of the ground) and pe trol/diesel. Its use will kill additional people. So in short there is no a dvantage to turning anything else into H2.

I note the article began by blinding itself to the real issues with the 'om g we HAVE to use C-free fuels regardless of the cost' nonsense.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

I don't think we read the same article.

Reply to
newshound

Nick Cat is just another troll....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

No, those were selected quotes from idiots in the intro. The *headline* was

Hydrogen is big news but is it really the answer to de-carbonisation?

Reply to
newshound

If you have surplus electrical energy, then you can use to extract H out of H2O. So, it's a temporary storage medium

Reply to
charles

Like he said.

And as the article said, for anything but planes, when you look at the end to end efficiency batteries look to be the better option. Maybe for lorries the potential weight saving and speed of refuelling shifts you a bit towards hydrogen. But it looks technically feasible to put in overhead power for lorries on motorways so maybe they don't need the long range of present lorries.

Reply to
newshound

Yes, it's a problematic storage option.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

H2 is in theory an option for any of them, but it would not be a wise option. Petrol, diesel & LPG are better cheaper safer easier options.

Re safety, turning your transport into a bomb is not a plus. Yes it's possible to design tanks that are crashproof, but a) it costs even more b) they can not survive all crashes, and will on occasion produce an almighty explosion c) the gas has to come out of the tank and can leak there, producing an unexpected explosion occasionally. d) the added weight is not so practical in planes.

NT

Reply to
Nick Cat

can't dig it up, you can only convert other fuels to H2. Converting anythin g to H2 is not 100% efficient and requires costly plant. Bottling it also e ntails energy losses & costs. And as an intermediate it is worse than every other option in other ways too. It is the most dangerous of all options, s ignificantly more so than LPG (which can be drilled out of the ground) and petrol/diesel. Its use will kill additional people. So in short there is no advantage to turning anything else into H2.

omg we HAVE to use C-free fuels regardless of the cost' nonsense.

You are entirely correct. The advantage with hydrogen is it's high calorific value and its carbon fre e. Burning it does produce NOx. Hydrogen ICE engines have to be larger than pe trol equivalent for the same power It can be used in fuel cells, again very inefficient. Surplus green energy can be used to make hydrogen by electrolysis.

Reply to
harry

Quite a lot of bollix in the article. Carbon capture has been largely abandoned as unworkable for many reasons. For home heating we are more likely to be going for heat pumps and using gas in power stations All this has been long established. Looks to me like private firms looking to scrouge taxpayers money.

Reply to
harry

What's the point in using heat pumps if you're going to generate the electricity using gas?

Reply to
Max Demian

Lets Do Sums. ============= The thermal efficiency of a good modern CCGT is around 57% (66% is theoretical max)

The 'uplift' of a heat pump - heat out to electricity in, is between 4:1 in summer , to maybe not much better than 2:1 in winter, so with transmission efficiencies of 85%, overall 'efficiency' gas in to heat out of a heat pump is

.85 x .57 x 2 worst case...

... which is 96%. Rising to maybe 200% in warmer periods near the equinoxes, and 400% in summer.

I doubt many gas boilers can do 96% thermal. They certainly cannot do

200%!!!

As with all these things there is a grain of sense there, as there is with electric cars, that becomes a lot more sensible when you chuck in a few dozen nuclear power stations, and chuck out 'renewable' energy.

So even gas power stations with heat pumps use a bit less gas that gas boilers.

The answer is of course nuclear power stations and if possible use the coolant to heat a nearby town. In Iceland I believe they use geothermal hot water piped down meter wide pipes..the bigger the pipe the less heat it loses proportionally.

Which is why the Earth still has a molten core.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Or pump water into a high reservoir off peak for use at peak.

I was thinking last night that if we'd started with that as the best way to use green energy, we'd be sorted by now. Rather than (still) pissing around looking for that holy grail in batteries. (See also: nuclear fusion).

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Suits me.

Probably best not mention Iceland. IIRC they don't charge for the hot water. Unlikely to catch on in the UK where it would be viewed as outright communism.

That and gravitational compression and expansion ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

We did, but we soon ran out of suitable mountains, just as we will run out of lithium

Hydrogen round trip efficiency as secondary storage it dire and its frantically dangerous.

one days electricity stored is half a dozen Hiroshima bombs, and the more electric vehicles we have the more storage we will need

The safest place to have stored energy in, is in nice stable uranium and plutonium. Next best is coal.

Then a reasonable balance of safety and with and size is hydrocarbon fuels in the diesel range.

Then its natural gas, and the worst possible thing is hydrogen.

As far as other storage goes, batteries are fricking dangerous and so is water up a hill.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher