Subject Author Posted Replies

Filler cap on bunded fuel oil tank.
No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just arrived in my barn. Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap....
21
21

Neodymium magnet puzzlement (2023 Update)
Hi. Just had a small sheet of .5mm thick stainless steel 305 delivered for a project I'm starting. I expected it to be compatible with neodymium magnets. But nope! Am I missing something? Thanks.
18
18

Extractor fan - legal terms for returns?
Just placed an order for: ST100HT Silent Tornado Hi-Power Bathroom Fan with Humidistat & Timer (Love the way it claims high power (not wanted) then boasts about "low energy" of 7.5W - not bad for an...
14
14

OT: disingenuous condescending RBS email
Hello G, We want to help you manage your borrowing and ensure your overdraft limit is right for you. As you haven't used your overdraft for a while, we're planning to reduce this from £3,000 to...
18
18

Is it me or not, being suspicious.
Just seen and ad on Farcebook for a mini chain saw, the one in the filmed demo is a STIHL made unit, but when you go to the shop page to purchase the item shown for £29.99 it is a GTA 26 with no...
15
15

Choice of jigsaw
I have come to the conclusion I need a decent jigsaw so I am looking at a Makita 4350FCT seems we?ll recommended available from Amazon for £130. Can any one vouch for it or a better alternative in a...
13
13

Smart thermostat fitting - check my working ?
With the days getting nippier, the siting of our programmable 'stat continues to be a pain (it's up high and she now can't stand). Going back to 2002, our CH was fitted by a professional (because it...
7
7

Mirror light.
Been doing up the cloakroom. At the moment there is an old shaver socket/light above the mirror. Which contains an 18" florrie. Design wise, it looks its 40 years or so. And also looks a bit lost,...
12
12

Laughing like a drain
Why is it that the drains always block in the middle of the night? Or to be accurate, why is it that I always make the discovery that they are blocked in the middle of the night? This time it was odd...
16
16

Stirring up controversy
HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or add some cold. Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in the cafetiere....
40
40

Talking of fibre
Small estate on edge of a village, van and 3 chaps stringing a cable along the telegraph poles. Cable was about 6mm dia., black with a yellow stripe along it. Any idea what it is? I'm assuming frome...
25
25

OT 1TB USB Sticks
why can I find 1TB USB sticks online at prices around 20 quid and in B&M sties can't find them, at any price (TBH 20 *is* too cheap) what am I missing here? (I have noted the scam where some...
15
15

Car lamp bases / LED replacement?
I was going though some stuff last night and came across an old Sealey 12V lead light a mate (who had his own car repair garage) gave me, like this: testing that it works, I cleaned it up, fitted a...
21
21

Android 7.1 nougat
I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android 7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action... I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android...
11
11

Electrical safety requirements in a rental property
Slightly OT as not strictly DIY... I've just had an electrical safety check done (through the managing agent) on a small rental house that I own (now a legal requirement), and the contractor is...
38
38