Android 7.1 nougat

I have rooted my old NOOK HD+ 32Gb and installed a version of Android

7.1 Nougat on it, now I am struggling to achieve the unlock action...

I needed an Android device, to enable me to run an Android only app.

I wonder if anyone is familiar with the unlock action necessary? I am new to Android.

When locked, it shows a tiny padlock in a circle, at the lower centre of the screen. Tap the padlock and it suggests 'swipe upwords to unlock' - I am finding it quite a tricky exercise to get it to then unlock, usually it takes me several attempts, so I'm wondering if maybe I'm using the wrong technique. What seems to work most often, is a very rapid swipe from the bottom to the top of the touchscreen.

Perhaps it's the implementation of Android combined with the NOOK?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Normally just press over the icon, continue pressing and swipe it upwards ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Technique I suspect. Start from the circled padlock swipe up, maintianing finger contact with screen to somewhere over half way up? "Very rapid" doesn't sound right, try slowing it down, take a gentle

1/2 to 1 second?

My Android 7.1.2 (Linage) on a Samsung SIII Mini just needs a short quickish swipe up from the padlock to bring up the pattern recognition unlock screen. But is also happy with a longer slow swipe as well.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :

I tried that, no luck at all - with a slow swipe up, the display of time and date gradually reduce in size, so it must be seeing my swipe. I have tried circles, left swipes, right swipes. The only way I can get it to unlock, is with the high speed bottom to top, or double clicking a notification, when there is one on the screen.

I guess it must be the implementation combined with the slightly weird NOOK hardware.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

short

That's what happens as I swipe up. What happens with a straight gentle swipe up that goes goes off the top of the screen? Is there any other unlock method required such as a PIN or pattern? I have a pattern set.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

on 14/10/2020, Dave Liquorice supposed :

Its default was just the swip to unlock, I added the pin thinking it might avoid the swipe, but it didn't. Whether it needs or doesn't need the pin to unlock, the swipe remains tricky to get past.

I'm not sure what the pattern method is, but the NOOK lacks a camera.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Maybe try holding the padlock for a second and seeing if anything happens on screen ? Quite a few newer actions work by quick-tap=default, long hold=options.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

It's all in the wrist action and you're doing it wrong.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yes the Nook reader is not a very good touch screen, I feel. I'm sure I've heard this before somewhere. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I don't think so. I do not have one, but a friends needs to be pressed firmly, than with it held, moved up till the action occurs. Seems a little odd since with Talkback on I think there is a different way to do it as blind folk cannot see the padlock! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

No. Youch screen technology is in fact simply utter shit

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

especially for yyping...

Reply to