Filler cap on bunded fuel oil tank.

No expense spared, a new 1200l bunded diesel storage tank has just arrived in my barn.

Most of the assembly work is obvious but I am challenged by the operation of the lockable inspection/filler cap. The logo shows partial rotation followed by tipping up or lifting off. Reasonable force does nothing!

Are tools available for fitting over the lugs cast onto the lid? Bit like a fancy immersion heater spanner?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Do you mean that you have to install the cap yourself? We had a new tank (Harlequin) delivered a couple of months ago and it came with everything already in place (including a remote level reader!).

Only assembly had to be from tap to pipe.

Reply to
Bev

Bev. This is a farm so I won't be using the fill pipe provision. There is a plastic lockable inspection/fill cover where I assume delivery drivers will insert their nozzle. I am nervous of applying more force than I have done without knowing more about the operation. I will try fitting a G cramp across and rotate that...

Reply to
Tim Lamb

OK - I was thinking of domestic kerosene

Yep, thats correct - but what I don't get is why you need to remove it? I thought you were trying to fit one on first reading . You can even handfill from 'cans' via the inspection/fill cover if necessary.

Whatever you choose to do just take care that you don't get any debris in the tank whilst doing it :(

Reply to
Bev

The pikeys will soon get it off, though these days I believe they just heat up a length of 22mm copper pipe already connected to a tank in their 4x4 and push the hot pipe through both walls of the tank.

Reply to
Andrew

Indeed.

1200L is small by farming standards so it is tucked out of sight in a barn. No Sun, no weather-> little condensation.

A 6" G cramp made short work of removing the cover. Moulded inside were a couple of plastic strips which engage with a plastic *ratchet*. Presumably to stop it jarring off if used as a mobile fuel station.

Now to get a delivery before the price goes any higher.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Should've stocked up in April, if anyone was delivering back then :-(

Reply to
Andrew

It cost more in April dumbass...

Reply to
Jimk

Yes. I was still emptying the old steel one. d-i-y question.. how do you safely cut up an 8'x4'x4' steel tank with a residue of red diesel?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Not sure if Tim is after 35 sec heavy oil (aka gas oil/red/white diesel) or 28 sec heating oil (aka kerosene/parrafin). The latter seems to have been fairly stable in price since mid May at around 28 p/l.

Diesel I've not got a clue about, last filled the car up on the 3rd Sep (112.7 p/l) and still have a 1/4 of tank left. Pre-covid I was filling up 3 or 4 times a month...

I'll be watching 28 sec prices as our consumption has quadrupled in the last couple of weeks and the estimated refill date has shifted from mid Apr 21 to early Jan 21, I expect the actual refill will be around end Nov 20.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Diesel is remarkably hard to ignite even on a wick of some sort. Not sure if it's volatile enough to reach explosive vapour concentrations in a tank. Maybe force ventilate it (blow outlet from a wet 'n dry vac, in the filler, out the vent?) and the good 'ole angle grinder and ear defenders... I guess the ends make it too rigid for the bucket of a front loader to squish/fold it up?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Angle grinder.

Reply to
Jimk

Red. Around £0.46/l today. Depends a bit on quantity ordered.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>, Tim Lamb snipped-for-privacy@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> writes

Erratum! £0.41 on 1000L just ordered.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Damn, bought about 50 l at something like 90 p/l for the genset when the rumours about hiking the duty were being bandied about. That was from the pump on the local garage forecourt rather than a bulk delivery, also pre-covid and oil price war that took place just before Covid.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

S'only £20.... think how much youve saved on pubs!

Reply to
Jimk

In message snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net>, Dave Liquorice snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com writes

I tend to note local (Aberdeenshire) prices, these being actual prices, this year, kerosene, ppl, excluding the dreaded VAT :

07/01 0.509 11/02 0.432 16/03 0.358 06/04 0.290 13/05 0.204 03/07 0.305 08/09 0.288 06/10 0.295
Reply to
Graeme

Expenditure in hospitality venues before 23 March - £0.00 Expenditure in hospitality venues after 23 March - £0.00

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 at 8:34:03 PM UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote: <Snip>

Easiest way is to advertise it and hopefully someone will want it for something and come and do all the work to take it away whole. Otherwise, Google is your friend, as it's been asked here afore.

In a domestic (Heating Oil) situation I don't think the regs would allow placement in a "Barn", but perhaps this is brick built and meets all sorts of regs requirements??

On a lighter note, I used to volunteer doing PA and electrics at events (remember those) and one day some of the guys went to top up the kerosene tank for the showers. They pumped a load in and dipped it and it was still showing empty. So they pumped a load more in, still empty..... Then the penny dropped, they were filling the bund! !1::^*>>))

We have unbunded here for domestic, my brother in law has it on his list to build it one.

Reply to
Chris Holmes

Are you housebound?

Reply to