Stirring up controversy

HOW I MAKE PERFECT COFFEE

Boil the kettle (because I don't watch it), then either let it cool or add some cold. Two heaped table spoons strength 4 ground coffee per mug of coffee in the cafetiere. Just enough water to fill the mug or mugs. Stir. Wait no longer than 90 seconds. Stir again, press the thingy, and pour.

50 secs for one mug at 850W in the micro. 90 secs for two mugs. Single cream to taste. Sugar to taste (I have two teaspoonsful.) Stir well.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Similar, but no sugar or milk. Only make one cup at a time.

Reply to
jon

One has to be very careful if you let water boil in a microwave as the surface tension stops it from boiling due to the way it heats evenly. Then put anything in that breaks the surface and it erupts.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Coffee???? Urgh..... It actually smells like something is burning and on fire.....

Its considered to be vile in our house that the two sets of builders we had on two seperate occasions were asking for coffee instead of tea to our surprise (I am rather fond of "builder's" tea which is two tea bags in a mug but without the sugar)

We explained we would happily make tea for them but we drew the line at making coffee.

We gave them a camping table, kettle, jug of milk, mugs, teaspoons, sugar cubes and a brand new sealed jar of *spit* coffee *spit* on a tray.

They were pointed to an outside tap which also had an outdoor socket next to it.

So they made their own outside!

S.

Reply to
No Name

I have friends who adopt a painfully analytical approach to making coffee. A carefully weighed quantity of beans into the mill; milled for a precise time; emptied into a filter-funnel and a precise quantity of hot or boiling water (can't remember which; suspect the latter; don't recall seeing any temperature measurements). I do wonder if they'd notice any difference if they were a bit more relaxed about it.

Me, I measure out a quantity of No.5 ground coffee into a small jug with a measuring spoon, top up the jug with boiling water, let it stand for a few minutes, unspecified, with occasional stirring, then pour it through a filter. Add a little semi-skimmed milk, and top up the mug with hot water. Add one sweetener. I did try a cafetiere, but it let fine grounds through, and I like to drain the mug and don't like the last mouthful to be full of grounds.

I do wonder why people insist on using hot rather than boiling water, bearing in mind that the temperature that the beans have been roasted at in the first place is probably considerably above boiling.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yep - I don't know what the attraction is. Overpowering smell and bitter taste. I find it strange that after spending a lot of money on good food in a high-class restaurant, people then ask for coffee at the end of the meal which completely drowns the taste of anything they ate. Something like green tea would be much better after a meal, but do many restaurants serve it?

I don't like coffee, but will reluctantly drink cappuccino in a cafe as it seems to me most coffee houses can't make a reliably decent cup of tea, and to some extent the chocolate masks the coffee taste.

We are, however, in a very small minority. C'est la vie...

Reply to
Jeff Layman

williamwright explained on 15/10/2020 :

I use one of those gurgle, gurgle electric ones - where you put the measured amount of water in the machine, coffee in the reusable filter and a glass jug kept warm on the hot plate.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

Boil kettle Open jar Heaped teaspoon of granules into a mug Pour on water Add a splash of skimmed milk

Reply to
alan_m

+1

Semi-skimmed though, skimmed is white water.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chris Hogg laid this down on his screen :

As said, I use one of those machines with the hotplate and glass jug to keep it warm. I don't mind the fine grounds which escape through the filter, which land in the bottom of the cup. I buy Lidl's cheapest ready ground coffee (Gold something), supplied tightly vacuum packed and like a brick, carefully measured into the filter with a plastic scoop. I have the water reservoir level viewer marked with a tape arrow, so I always get the amount of water just right for two cups and have china coffee cups reserved for the purpose - freebies from Esso petrol from 40 years ago.

My ritual, is to leave the coffee machine lid up, turn it on, then wait until it is gurgling well before putting the lid down. My theory is that the initial gurgle will be circulating cold water into the filter. Lid up, the water goes back in the reservoir.

If I am not too desperate for the first coffee, I like to leave it in the jug on the hotplate, to gain a bit of extra heat. It cools down on its way through the coffee grounds and filter.

Then a spoon of brown sugar and cream.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

alan_m wrote on 15/10/2020 :

That's not coffee, its an apology for coffee.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

1% milk is perfectly adequate, trouble is it's no longer in the soopermarkets.
Reply to
Tim Streater

Place mug under spout Push button When coffee is made, steam milk and add

Reply to
Bob Eager

At uni, during revising for finals many years ago, it was a tsp of Nescafe instant, a tsp of Marvel milk powder, a tsp of sugar, under the hot tap, stir, swallow, repeat every hour...

Well, it kept us going!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

At least it's not changing a drink named coffee to something else by adding sugar!

I'm aware that unless the beans are plucked from a bush by a virgin in some remote blue painted hill in Jamaica and then passed through the digestive tract of your moggy that for some it's not real coffee.

The instant I drink is much better than I've had in some commercial establishments where they grind the beans and use a machine costing thousands to make the resulting liquid. However after many decades of using skimmed milk in tea and coffee anything made with full fat milk gives the drink an underlying fatty milky taste that I don't particularly like.

Reply to
alan_m

There is middle ground. No instant quite has the flavour of ground beans, for me, and it feels like instant is higher in caffeine, too.

I agree with that. I also agree that many commercial coffee ideas make decent coffee taste like shit,

I drink ground and instant. Just two or three varieties of each and ignore the rest, after years, those are to me acceptable drinks.But I regard them as different drinks with the same name.

As far as making them I have tried every conceivable way there is and have settled on a stainless steel cafetiere for the ground, and pour boiling water on instant. Simple, achieves nearly all of what to me is desirable, and is bombproof and cheap

If camping, or in hotels etc, use coffee bags,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

alan_m laid this down on his screen :

I'll go with that - I don't like coffee from the commercial places at all. Better than those, is the instant coffee granules we use here, for between times when I don't make the 'proper' coffee. Again, that is from Lidl.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield, Esq.

But it?s only got half the goodness of semi skimmed. ;-). I?ll grant you it tastes a heap better than skimmed milk though.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

when we had a cat, she wouldn't touch the fully skimmed stuff

Reply to
charles

The Seattle based lot for a start.

Reply to