Stirring Watco?

I'm applying Watco clear wiping poly to the cherry entertainment center after applying Danish oil. [currently doing the door panels so I can assemble the doors]. The instructions on the Watco can say to stir (not shake) before using. Given that these are 1 quart cans with a standard screw cap, stirring is an interesting process.

Are there really elements that separate out of clear Watco, or is this a carry-over from the colored Watcos?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Likely a carryover, but I always "stir" the Minwax variety by agitating the can. Invert a few times and don't worry. It's thin, you're using a rag, and there's always sandpaper.

Reply to
George

I just applied some Watco that I think has been sitting for 10 years. I shook it a couple of times and used it. No problem.

Reply to
Pat

I stir it. The main reason is I don't want any residual chunks that may have formed on the bottom ending up on my rag or brush. YMMV. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

I no longer use Watco, but used gallons of it over the years, I never stirred, just shook a little and poured it out. I never had a problem of settling.

Reply to
Rumpty

The OP was talking about the wiping Poly. I imagine you and others are referring to the "Danish oil" variant.

WATCO is now back to the phenolic resin? Haven't used it since formula changed the first time.

Reply to
George

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I have been stirring with a thin stick and have seen no issues in the results.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita