anything over watco

you don't NEED to, but I usually wax and buff my watco or waterlox finishes. It basically gives it a nice satin luster, and adds a very small amount of protection, too (but I'm not sure if it is anything more effective than the hardened varnish in the watco on its own)

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I did the same, made some drawer and door frames with Watco danish oil. I put a coat of Watco satin wax on after 3 days of drying, just to give it a little more sheen and waterproofing. (bathroom vanity)

Todd L

Reply to
Todd L

A coat or three of a good paste wax would be nice but as far as need too goes and assuming the first of three rules of finishing is followed, "pick a finish that provides at least the minimum protection commensurate with the use the piece is going to be put too", I don't see why you would put anything over it.

That's why Danish oil is called a finish and not pre finish, or finish preparation, or finish sealer, etc.

Reply to
Mike G

Just finished a project made with birch ply using 3 coats of Watco Danish Oil (natural). Do I need to put anything on top of this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mack

depends on what the project is. vertical surfaces of a piece of furniture can certainly get away without lacquer, poly, or varnish. Horizontal surfaces are another story if they are subject to wear.

dave

Mack wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Phil

I just have to ask why would you do that? It's not going to hurt anything and if it gives you the warm and fuzzies fine by me but just what was the rationale behind it.

Reply to
Mike G

On Tue, 11 May 2004 12:38:46 -0700, "Mack" brought forth from the murky depths:

3 more coats would work nicely.

-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|-

Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Reply to
Larry Jaques