2nd Hand Trend T9E

Hi all. I've seen a Trend T9E 1800W 1/2" router in a nearby 2nd hand shop. The guy behind the counter doesn't know much anything about routers and it seems to have no box or edge guide with it. It has a 1/4" collet in the router head but I don't know if it requires a 1/2" collet or does the 1/4" collet just need to be taken out to receive the 1/2" cutters!

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Secondary question. Is

official Trend website?

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Yes

Reply to
Andrew May

AFAIR, these are just the same collets as a lot of machines on that chassis, including my Freud. You need one separate collet for each size - any conversion shims should be thrown away, because you want all the accuracy and accurate balance you can get (that's why they use a collet after all). Spares should be easy enough to get and Trend are usually pretty good at this. Somewhere out there there's also a website (forgotten the name) that sells every collet for pretty much every router, including some quite obscure stuff.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've seen lots of overpriced stuff their too. So I drop in there 1 or2 times a week during lunch to find something I think looks a fair price. .

Arthur 51

Very nice machines...

Not all of them come with cases. The edge guide is standard kit, but can be bought separately.

It probably had separate collets for 1/2" and 1/4" (they also do, 6mm,

8mm, 3/8th, and 12mm)

Some parts here:

John Rumm

With the prices these and similar capacity DeWalt machines can be had for new nowadays you may not find this is such a bargain once you've bought any additional collets and the guide fence. Don't forget a brand new machine will give you 12 months peace of mind against defects. Do you know how much wear there is in the Trend machine? You pays your money and makes your choice.

Reply to
gunsmith

The outside of the router looks in good condition. The knobs etc look as new and the plunge works smothly. So I don't think any kitchen fitters have been thrashing it and throwing it about. Its for sale at 70 quid because it doesn't come with any accessories eg guide or 1/2" collet. There is just the router with a 1/4" collet. At 70 quid I can find a 1/2" collet for less than =A310 and a proper winder form trend to use it with my router table and thats all I need as I use another router for hand held work.

I bought a brand new Ryobi ERT 2100 a few months back I'm not impressed with it. It overheats (smoking) and I'm not working it hard. Its the 2nd Ryobi product I've bought. The table saw couldn't even be assembled.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Given what you want it for its an "ok" deal. Note that the couple that have sold on ebay recently went for mid 60's prices - but that was for the full kit in a carry case.

Might the dealer drop the price if you showed him the cost of all the missing bits? At £50 it would be a good deal.

Reply to
John Rumm

I'll give it a try but its in a branch of cash converters and the 70 quid price probably reflects the lack of accessories.

Thanks. Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

Do they haggle ?

I've looked at stuff in Cash Converters but it always seems overpriced to me. Even seen 2nd hand tools from Lidle/Aldi being sold for more than the original price.

John

Reply to
JTM

And from Makro.

The only CC place I've known is the one that is/was in Huntingdon. The local plod told me it was where the druggies sold the stuff they knocked off in order to feed their habit(s). Even so everything was over priced compared to fleabay, and the stuff that was obviously straight from Aldi/Lidl/cash and carry puzzled me. "JCB" brand power tools were the obvious ones, they sold (or offered) them for 2x the price at Makro.

Reply to
Steve Firth