Router Newbie--Missing Pieces?

Bought a Bosch router almost a year ago, but didn't have time to work on the projects that I bought it for. Now that I do, I'm a bit stumped how to put it together (Never used a router before.) I think I'm missing parts. The shaft came with nut on it, but no collet that I can recognize. There was a separate chuck that appears to have a 1/4" collet, but I can't see how to attach it to the shaft. The directions recommend using 1/2" shanks, so I suspect I may be missing a 1/2" collet. I don't mind that, because I actually would prefer to attach the 1/4" chuck, since I have some of those bits.

Here's a picture of the parts I have:

1) Am I correct that there appears to be a missing 1/2" collet, and 2) How can I attach the 1/4" chuck?

Thanks (BTW, I have read the manual)

Reply to
gesres

Looks like you have a 1/2" collet and the nut that goes with it to be threaded on the shaft, shown in photo you call spare chuck.

If they show an exploded view of the router in the parts manual, it should help you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It appears from the picture at the top right that the collet is in the shaft. The part you see in the end with the splits in it is the collet.

Reply to
CW

You have both the 1/2" and 1/4" :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

It seems like You have all parts. But with some routers, You have to snap in the collet in to the nut BEFORE You put it in the router shaft. You will feel it when the colett "clicks" into the nut. Now You can put the collet with the nut into the shaft.

I can add, my router (Freud) has a warning to tighten the nut without a bit in it. It maybe the same for Botsch. Always read the manual before use.

May-Brith

Reply to
May-Brith Nilsen

The second picture to the right looks like that the 1/2" collet is in the router without the nut used to tighten it. You should be able to remove it and install the 1/4" collet.

Reply to
Bigpole

Ok, since you all agree, then it must be so. ;-)

I thought it look collet-ish, but didn't match the other pictures I had, and didn't seem willing to detach itself.

I'll give it another whirl.

Thanks everyone!

Reply to
gesres

Mine says *not* to tighten the nut without a bit in it. Was that what you meant?

Anyway, collet appears firmly wedged in the shaft and I can't remove it. May have to buy some 1/2" bits. ;-)

Reply to
gesres

Sounds about right ie good machining. :-)

Put a cloth around the collet and twistout with some wide pliers.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

skrev i melding news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

I'm sorry I wasn't clear enough. My native language is Norwegian, and it's

30 years ago I learned English. So it's not always easy to explain. May sentence about tighten the nut was meant to be *not* tighten.

But, if You can't screw the nut on to the collet, then You can't use 1/2" bits, or?

May-Brith

Reply to
May-Brith Nilsen

1) Wiggle it. If need be, insert the plain end of a drill bit into the opening and wiggle it. Once it gets out, inspect it for smoothness and LIGHTLY touch up any external divots you might find ... possibly machining burrs at the slits ... with a bit of crocus cloth. Check the ID of the shaft for corresponding nicks and address them too, LIGHTLY so as not to destroy the over all circularity. 2) the pliers and cloth trick mentioned earlier would be my next step. Just be careful not to squeeze the collet sides more than a VERY small amount. If it cracks or distorts, it's unsafe junk. Pitch it and buy a new one. 3) bend a piece of coat hanger wire with a t-handle at one end and a short hook at the other. Insert the hook through the collet opening and yank.

My guess is that your router has already been in the hands of an end-user. I very much doubt that Bosch would ship it in this condition. Likely somebody (you?) has pressed the collet into the shaft and THEN tried to screw the nut on. That's how it got wedged in there to start with. The nut with the collet already inserted would be the proper way to do things.

Reply to
Bill

Reply to
Jimmy

An astute conclusion: the unit is "factory reconditioned."

The trick with the cloth and pliers worked. Got the collet out. After I put the 1/4" collet in, however, and put the nut on, it won't close tight enough to hold the 1/4" bit.

This is why I waited a year to get started. The crawling before walking is painful. ;-)

Reply to
gesres

That worked, thanks!

Reply to
gesres

You should have two nuts and two collets.

1/2" collet for 1/2" nut,ect
Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

There are two nuts and two collets. One collet is 1/2" and the other is smaller but bigger than 1/4".

Reply to
gesres

lol

You need a book on the basics of getting to know the router in detail

Unless its a 3/8" collet which also comes with most 1/2" routers.

Looking closely at the (no collet) pic it would seem you have a collet within a collet?

And if I'm right then you have 3 collets ie 1/2",3/8" and 1/4"

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

No wonder the bloody nut wouldn't screw on. lol

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I do have one, but it covers a wide variety of routers and it's not obvious how much applies to mine in particular. Now that you guys have helped me identify my 1/2" collet, I can see pictures of it in the book. I also see a picture of a 1/4" collet that looks just like the one I have. But mine still won't hold the bit.

Perhaps that's the case. My router book says that 3/8" collets aren't included much any more, though. Maybe it's metric?

No, it's just machined with the bevel at the top that looks like another collet.

I'll just have to call the support line on Monday.

I appreciate your help!

Reply to
gesres
8mm probably. Common in Europe.