Wooden packframe: wood choice?

I want to make a wooden packframe for a backpack. It will be a full size backpack (3/4 lenght on frame, 55 L/3300 cu in volume), so the frame will have to be able be fairly sturdy. At the same time I can't make it too heavy. About 20 years ago I say a set of instructions for what I want to make, and they used glued up laminate, glued in shape, and I was thinking of doing the same.

Some flex is good, but wobbly obviously isn't. I was thinking about ash and/or birch as the material (local availability is poor, but I have a piece of straight ash, and birch I can get).

Is my choice of wook sane, and what dimentions, layering, etc would you suggest?

/Par

Reply to
Par

Par wrote: > I want to make a wooden packframe for a backpack. It will be a full size > backpack (3/4 lenght on frame, 55 L/3300 cu in volume), so the frame > will have to be able be fairly sturdy. At the same time I can't make it > too heavy.

If you can laminate the parts, you will get very strong, lightweight pieces.

Ash and Honduras mahogany would make a nice contrast and weather well.

Rip the pieces to 1/8" thickness, glue up with epoxy.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett