Combined wood/tile floor

Hello everyone. I'm in the process of redoing my kitchen, and I've seen floors that combine hardwood flooring with ceramic tile. The hardwood boards surround each tile piece almost like a frame and is quite attractive. I would like to do something like that, but am concerned about how you would seal between the wood and the tile. Would you use grout? caulk? nothing? Also, I would assume that the flooring would have to be laminate and would be glued down with mastic the same as the tile. Would that be correct?

If anyone is familiar with this type of floor, I sure would appreciate some information. Thank you very much.

Reply to
dennisjj

Are you really sure the "Hardwood" part was really wood? I have seen floors looking such as you describe but the wood part was actually wood look-a-like tile. Makes a handsome looking floor but it is all actually tile not a combination of tile and wood.

Of course this is not to say that real wood and tile can not be mixed together on a single floor.

Best Regards, Ed

Reply to
Ed