Router bits

I recently purchases a good set of router bits, only to find once i arrived home, that they are 3/8 inch. Is there a adaptor to use in a 1/4 Makita router??. The set is made in the U.S.A and i want to keep them.

Thanx

Peter Australia

Reply to
Raven

You should be able to buy a 3/8" collet for the router. See if the following will fit your router:

the wrap.

Reply to
Swingman

I have never seen an adapter/collet that will make a 1/4" router accept a larger sized bit. There are numerous collets/adapters that will enable you to use smaller shank sizes in larger routers however.

It may be time to purchase a 1/2" collet router.

Reply to
Leon

> Watch the wrap.

I could be wrong but that collet looks like it adjusts from 1/2" down to a

3/8" bit.
Reply to
Leon

It is indeed cheap for a "3/8 collet", which is what it unequivocally states that it is. Nonetheless, he should still be able to find what he needs on that site.

Here's the "Makita Collet" page:

Swingman

that will adapt up in size? Normally I have only seen adapters and or collets that go down in size from a larger size.

Reply to
Leon

What you have here is a perfect opportunity to get another tool. If you ask me, there is absolutely nothing wrong with going out and buying another router that will handle bigger bits. Sure, there will be people who are like, "That's silly, why do you need two routers?" C'mon, can you really have too many? Besides, you can always mount one in a router table and keep another one out for normal routing. It totally think you need to jump on this.

Reply to
jkroschel

Not that I'm aware of ... you only get those collets if you've been a well mannered, upstanding wooddorker in life., then you die, go to wooddorker heaven, and you're issued a router for every bit.

(Ask JOAT for more info on the latter ... he's closer to the woodworking gods, and MUCH more 'well mannered' than me.)

That said, let's clear the decks and start over:

What the OP obviously needs to be able to use his new 3/8" shank router bits is either:

  1. A new 3/8" Makita collet,.

or

  1. A new 1/2" Makita collet , plus a 3/8" sleeve/adapter to use with it.

I was really trying to make it easy ... really, I was.

It is apparent that the cheap ass webmaster uses the same picture of a 1/4" Makita collet for every size Makita collet he sells ( and apparently, judging by the part #'s, the exact same picture for some of the collet adapters he sells as well).

If I was going to order from these guys, I would probably use the part # as a guide, and not the picture.

... a fact of which I was hoping the OP was smart enough to figure out for himself. :)

Hey Peter ... hope you're reading this. We're (trying) looking out for you down there in Oz! :)

Reply to
Swingman

Almost getting ready to ROTFLMAO and firing the tennis ball back to your side. The OP indicated that he has a 1/4 router. IIRC 1/4" routers will not accomidate larger bits as the bit has to fit into a 1/4" opening in the shaft. I assume that he meant 1/4" rather than 1/4 hp or 1/4 of a router. ;~)

I could be way off here but I don't think so.

Yes but I think he has a 1/4" capacity router and the larger collet/adapter will probably not fit. Basically you can fit 1/4" or 3/8" adapter/collet into a 1/2" hole but not a 3/8" or 1/2" adapter into a 1/4" hole.

See above. LOL

Yeah me too. ;~)

Agreed but I don't think any of those collets bottoms will fit inside a 1/4" router shaft.

Yes.

Uh-huh .

Crap, they are probably left hand threaded too.

Reply to
Leon

Until you have enough routers that 1 never gets used, you don't have too many. For me the number is 4.

Reply to
Leon

I took it to mean that he had a 1/4" collet on his router ... go figure.

I also went and figured that Makita was like Porter Cable and that you could buy different size collets for their routers (they sure sell 'em).

Being Porter Cable router poor (like you I have half a dozen), I've never used a Makita router, sooo00:

Do you mean I could actually be wrong??!!

(For gawds sake, on that rare happenstance, PLEASE don't let the Canasta Queen know!)

:)

Reply to
Swingman

I am sure he does have a 1/4" collet but if you recall in the early years, and taking your Bosch Colt in to mind, 1/4" was about all you could get your hands on. During my early years I had more than a few Craftsman routers and the armature/shaft held the 1/4" bit. A collet nut squezed the end of the shaft tight/simi tight against the bit. I suspect that some routers are still built to only accept a 1/4" bit.

I am sure you can if the router has a 1/2" capacity to start with.

Nor I, so I may have egg all over my face. ;~)

Not wrong! Perhaps only 99.9% correct.

I think it would be a wasted breath to try and explain to either. ;~)

Whew!

Reply to
Leon

Aussies should just be waking up about now ... hopefully we'll know soon.

Reply to
Swingman

I Googled and came up empty for router bit adapters that will do what you are asking, but what you will need is something along the lines of a router bit extension that has a 1/4" shank but a 3/8" collet. I doubt if you will find one because you are asking for, nay, demanding, serious grief if the 1/4" shank were to let go under use.

You didn't mention what model router you have, but it looks like trying for a larger collet is your best bet, followed by opening up the wallet for a beefier router.

Bill

Reply to
BillinDetroit

ditto!