Router Bits

Has anyone come across or used Millers Falls rail/stile and raised panel bits. I saw a set for less than $AUD120 for the three bits, seemed a nice raised vertical profile bit. Are they genuine Millers Falls or an asian copy? Unusual to see what could possibly, be good quality equipment in this part of the world.

Reply to
Ribbidy

I know that people here have favorite brands of router bits. Has anyone used Woodline? Even if they're not necessarily the best, do you think they are a good deal for the price?

Reply to
JeffB

I've got one set of about 7 bits (plywood). They are the WORST bits I've used. I would never buy any of their bits again. Similar bits in other brands cut with less force and leave cleaner edges. They weren't worth the amount I spent because they are so crappy. Go with CMT, Amana, Bosch, Freud, etc, for troublefree performance, Jeff. Learn from my mistake! :)

Dave

JeffB wrote:

Reply to
David

JeffB wrote in news:nQXee.26091$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.socal.rr.com:

Not sure where you are, which rather makes a difference...

Several approached have been tried, including:

  • Buying the bits you need as you need them, (or)
  • Buying a set of bits, because you got a package price.

Either one works, but it depends on you, your access to tools on short notice, what types of work you do, and how much at any one time.

  • Buying 'house brand' bits, and replacing when they wear, (or)
  • Buying 'premium brand' bits, and having them professionally sharpened when they wear.

Again, it depends on the work you want to do.

has a wealth of info on all thing related to routers. Pat has come by his strongly held opinons honestly, and should at least be read, before you decide what suits you.

I have bits from Amana, Whiteside, Freud, Rockler, Oldham and Woodcraft in my bit box. Each represents a certain value decision. None is a total loser. Amana & Whiteside are my favorites, but represent the largest investment. CMT & Infinity have received excellent reviews here as well, although I've not tried them.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Now that I have a decent router (and table), I wanted to get a basic set of bits with 1/2" shanks. I have plenty of local woodworking suppliers, so I can quickly get individual bits if needed for a specific purpose. I know that Woodline is a local company, and supports local woodworking organizations, so I have an inclination to send business their way. And I don't mind looking for bargains - if the risk is not too great. The eBay $20 digital calipers and $20 carbide tipped drill bits were just fine, the $20 carbide router bit set was junk.

Woodline sells good sounding basic router bit sets - 12 bits/$60, 24 bits/$89,

33 bits/$110, 66 bits/$189. I'm more wary of spending over a hundred dollars, especially if the feedback from this group is negative.
Reply to
JeffB

"Good sounding" bits? Jeff, they are the pits! Truly the worst quality bits I've come across. do yourself a favor and don't make the same mistake I did. I was lured by the low price, but they aren't worth even the cheap price I paid.

Dave

JeffB wrote:

Reply to
David

I have a bunch'o Woodline bits and I don't have a problem with them. They are not equal to the best, nor as bad as the worst. They frequent the woodworking shows here in SoCal and I often pick up a few of this or that bits. I would not spend a bunch'o money with them sight unseen. Go with the better stuff if you must buy sets. But I think you will find Woodline acceptable for the price for run'o'the'mill edging or patterning bits. I have their solid carbide up spiral bits in 1/4 and 1/2" sizes and they cut great.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

I have their (Woodline) straight bits. I have to push the wood much harder than a comparable size Bosch bit, and they leave a ragged edge when making dados. The Bosch leaves a clean cut.

Dave

Pounds >>I know that people here have favorite brands of router bits. Has anyone > > used >

Reply to
David

I have quite a few of Woodline bits they do a fine job for me. Haven't had any problems as someone else posted. I especially like their fast shipping when I need a bit fast.

Reply to
dteckie