Good router bits?

Folks,

I want to make some raised panel cabinets.

Any suggestions on the router bits. Some of them cost fortune, which I don't want.

I checked ebay for used ones, but can't trust.

thanks, DJ

Reply to
D J

Fine Woodworking just did a comparison article - check your local library or bookstore. According to my own limited experience, Infinitytools.com is a good source for reasonably-priced and high-quality bits. MLCSwoodworking.com has great prices, free shipping, great customer service, and their bits are pretty good quality (much better than the $1/ea eBay import specials, but not quite as good as the higher-end pro bits). Also, search the archives here - this has been discussed before. Andy

Reply to
Andy

When I bought this set it was about $40, may have been a sale, anyway they worked fine for the Poplar frame and MDF panels I made. Came with a few washers to fine tune the fit.

RayV

I can see there are three more messages, but don't get to read them.. something wrong?

Reply to
D J

Nothing is more expensive than a cheap bit that will damage the wood. Go with any of hte decent brand names like Infinity, Freud, Whiteside, etc.

Check

and

Edwin Pawlowski

Buy the most expensive "name brand" than you feel comfortable with spending money on. I prefer CMT, Amana, the old Jesada, and Infinity, in that order.

Reply to
Leon

DJ,

While not an expert at woodworking, I have been building stuff outta wood for 30+ years. (Most of what I do would be classified by the more talented members of this group as either finish carpentry or "craft" quality.) That being said, I have been using routers for nearly 30 years.

Last year I found a company called Woodline USA

Fair prices- especially if you but some of their sets. *Excellent* customer service. I damaged a carbide tipped bit due to MY negligence, and they replaced it at no cost. Didn't even charge me shipping! Now THAT's customer service. :>)

Not affiliated with, yada, yada, yada, and all the other disclaimers.

Gary Kasten St. Peters, MO

Reply to
9.9 Fingers

As Leon suggested, stay with the majors, buy the best you can afford.

Trying to cut corners on cutting tools is strictly false economy, IMHO.

SFWIW, have used a couple of Infinity bits, they work for me.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lee Valley has good quality bits, not too expensive.

name

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer" who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.

I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can find.

Reply to
dpb

[...]

Check out Woodline bits. If they're good enough for Sam Maloof they are good enough for me.

Reply to
Dave

Used you don't want unless you just happen to find another "one-timer" who bought the Amana or another top-quality set and built one set of kitchen cabinets and then you probably wouldn't save that much anyway from what I've seen watching auctions in the past.

I agree w/ the others that it's a false economy in the larger picture. It depends also in part on what you're making the cabinets from -- if it's a softwood, you may get by w/ a lesser bit, but if you are using a fine hardwood and particularly anything w/ any grain characteristics at all, you want the best and sharpest bit you can find.

Reply to
dpb

You realize that they pay him to use their bits, don't you?

Reply to
Leon

I don't think a perfectionist such as he would use junk no matter what he is paid.

Reply to
Dave

Sam Maloof is a great woodworker but absolutely NOT a perfectionist. He freehands a lot of his of his work. Supporting a product, good or bad is not going to harm his reputation.

Tiger Woods promotes Buick. Being the multi millionaire that he is I seriously doubt he owns a fleet of Buicks.

Reply to
Leon

Didn't he pass away a few months back?

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Didn't he pass away a few months back?

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

That's the fourth copy of this message. all at different times. Do you have a slow stutter or is gmail having problems?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard