Subject Author Posted Replies

High School these days...
Well - just been up the road to see the local community college (secondary) as they had an open day and it's 2 roads away. The good news and the bad news: 1) They still do proper woodwork and...
99
99

Ballcocks!
Well ballcock washers anyway. The one in the cold water tank in the loft in me new house is leaking but due to the tangle of roof trusses up there it's a nightmare to reach the tank, crawling under...
14
14

Wiring a security light
in laws have asked me to fit an external security light - one that looks like a carriage lamp, but has a PIR. Are there regs about whether it should be powered from a lighting ring, or could I use a...
3
3

docx
Anyone care to recommend a converter; docx compatible with Word 97? XP service pack 3 and I would prefer to avoid open office!
40
40

What lurks within - shocking ...
I was scrabbling below my desk trying to sort out a mess of adaptors, cables and other PC connections (too many PCs). It's dark down there, so I investigated with a torch rather than my fingers. A...
8
8

OT Thunderbird - Trial Post
Hi all On the advice of a number of posters, I have installed Thunderbird on my new (works) Win 7 PC, to replace the now-retired Outlook Express. One issue I haven't sorted is how to import messages...
5
5

Remote light switch
I need to replace our exterior light - and want to end up with something that works the way I want. First off - we need two lights - one for round by the bins and one for near the back door. That...
7
7

Electrickery in Tenerife
Anyone know how they run the mains in Tenerife? Apart from the obvious answer - "without much care" that is... Seems there is no earth and my laptop is giving me regular shocks when I touch some of...
39
39

OT ish Halogen heaters
We have a cheap Halogen heater, but it gives off a lot of light. I was wondering if anyone had any numbers about how efficient they were at heating a room . I tend to use it when I am at the computer...
13
13

Stop Taps
Hello Just discovered that the stop-tap in the integral garage is leaking from its collar - downstream cardboard boxes were sodden. The tap is about 30 years old and is used fairly regularly to adjust...
15
15

Western Australia powers up 10MW solar farm
Western Australia powers up 10 MW solar farm • The Register
24
24

Wooden Toy, Container Ship
OK, I have been requested to make a wooden container ship for the eldest rug rat, nothing fancy, he is only 5. Google has not been helpful in my search for plans/ideas/inspiration. Anyone made...
11
11

A solution for doorbells you can't hear?
Hey guys, Im an engineer working on a DIY project that solves a common problem: doorbells you can't hear. It's a wireless doorbell which gives you the option to send a photo of who is at the door...
20
20

OT; Jimmy Saville
This dates from 25 years ago. Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio
115
115

chainsaw on a stick
Hi, These "chainsaws on a stick" seem to be regularly recommended here. When flicking through the free view channels, one of the shopping channels sells a Ryobi model. Is there anyone else who makes...
16
16