Subject Author Posted Replies

Electricity store?
So what does the panel make about this one? they solved the world's big energy problem or snake oil? http://www.aweenergy.com/midnight_sun.phpHave
32

OT ish; Virgin answerphone service
Can the vast knowledge base at UK. D-I-Y help with this one? :-) Signed up to Virgins answer phone service. Essentially I dial 1571 and pick up messages. Supposedly the screen on my Siemens Gigaset...
3
3

Combi boiler - tepid water unless central heating running.
The hot water never gets piping hot but if the central heating is running too, the radiators are almost too hot to touch and the hot water gets that way too. Is this the diverter valve at fault - do I...
5
5

Plumbers Wrench
As an engineering machinist I never ever used an adjustable spanner. I would have never considered it proper for a car mechanic to use an adjustable spanner. But why do all plumbers seem to use them?...
38
38

Using sleepers to form fanned path
SWMBO was discussing how to create a path curving in an arc from the house = to the door of the shed, essentially going through a 90deg curve over about= a 3m trajectory. I quite like the idea of...
16
16

OT: anyone want a couple of old Mac keyboards / mice?
Got a pair sat around doing nothing. One from a powermac 6100, and another from an ancient LC475. Wired, Applebus presumably...
7
7

Total confusion over balancing radiators
I'll try to keep this as short as possible. My heating system is 28 years old and is 8mm microbore with standard steel panel radiators and an indirect hot water cylinder. I spent a couple of weeks...
18
18

Square squares
I have a number of set squares but I'm never really convinced they are truly square. Can anyone recommend a good one for general use (marking cuts on timer etc etc)? Ideally not too expensive, though...
25
25

How honest can you be?
"...where we match people based on deep levels of compatibility using factors such as intellect, values and the childish enjoyment of crude sexual swearwords and pathetic toilet gags masquerading as...
4
4

[OT] What a fat lump of bloatedness
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit that is. Just done a clean install on VMWare Player for testing, and it's just had 8.1GB of disk (that's actual consumption on a sparse disk file). Fresh install, not even patched...
90
90

It's true. The Yanks are dafter than us.
least we just drink liquid nitrogen to kill ourselves. Latest News headlines, exclusives and opinion | The Sun

Painting
Hi, we have been decorating and unfortunately got gloss on the emulsion, and emulsion on the gloss! The latter emulsion on the gloss is easy to sort, but when trying to cover the gloss with the...
9
9

Rust Resistant paper
Remember that little bit of paper that used to be packed with tools - before silica gel? It was brown and gave off a vapour to resist rust. Any idea what it was, if it is still available and if it...
11
11

Little black worms on threshold just inside front door
I noticed the vile little creatures as I was coming down the stairs. There were a dozen of them on the plastic threshold just inside the front door. I scraped them up and dumped them in the garden....
25
25

Solar pv Panels and hot water.
With pv solar panels it makes sense to heat the water by electric when the sun is shining. Easy enough to switch on the immersion heater when you're about but that's not always the case. Is there a...
22
22