Electronic thingy?

I'm going to box in the gap under my showertray this weekend.

I've a mad plan about putting some LV LED lights in, but I want them to come on when the shower is used.

It's a power shower, so the pump is inside the shower unit & it's connected via an RCD plug.

I know you can get vacuum cleaners where you plug in a power tool & the vac starts when the tool is switched on.

Is there a similar device I could buy off the shelf?

Bear in mind, my electronics knowledge is on a par with Colonel Custers Indian fighting skills.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Asked the same in my thread "Wha'd'ya call 'em?" starting 8th April.

Scott

Reply to
Scott M

I'm bored with trying to google for it, but is something like this any use?

I've got a free EON branded one which turns off all the odds and bits attached to my PC when the PC is shut down.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

You can buy extension leads with say a four way socket. You plug the master device into one marked socket, and when that is switched on it makes the other sockets live.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If you don't want to delve into the pump's electronics, a couple of other options would be a flow switch on the shower feed, or a pipe stat on the hot shower feed. The latter would act as an indicator when the water was running through hot, and provide a convenient run-on period afterwards (whilst you're toweling down) and the pipe is still hot. Could use it to control an extractor fan too (although I personally prefer to switch the extractor on after I've finished in the shower room, and not during the shower).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Simplest is 2 or 3 diodes in the neutral line to the pump. When running, these give you 2-4.5v, depending on number and diode type. They don't get you isolation though, so you'd need to feed the resulting ac through a small transformer.

A wallwart and a bimetal thermostat on the hot pipe might be easier. There are many ways to do it. Probably the simplest is a plug-in extension lead with built in control.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Perhaps you could find someone to knock up one of these for you:

John Rumm

Get yourself one of those inspection lights plugged into an extension lead, take it into the shower with you and hang it on the shower rail :)

What about some kind of idea similar to movement-detecting infra-red security lights, so if movement is detected in the shower cubicle, the lights come on and stay on with some kind of pre-determined cutoff? Or sound activated? Shouldn't be too hard to calibrate them for the sound of the pump/water to trigger them but not other "bathroom noises" (!).

Or just take a feed from the existing circuit and put them on a pull-cord on/off switch.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

these give you 2-4.5v, depending on number and diode type. They don't get y ou isolation though, so you'd need to feed the resulting ac through a small transformer.

Kil two birds with one stone and use a current transformer.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

these give you 2-4.5v, depending on number and diode type. They don't get you isolation though, so you'd need to feed the resulting ac through a small transformer.

That might killing 2 LEDs with 1 stone. V_out would rise dramatically during startup, and if the pump ever stalls.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Since it's quite common for couples to both use the bathroom facilities at the same time, you could arrange for a motion-detector in the bog pan, so that when you're in the shower, your girlfriend's bowel movement triggers a switch.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Just remember to leave a drip loop!

Reply to
Andy Burns

give you 2-4.5v, depending on number and diode type. They don't get you isolation though, so you'd need to feed the resulting ac through a small transformer.

many ways to do it. Probably the simplest is a plug-in extension lead with built in control.

I wouldn't know what a diode was if it bit me :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Now that would work!

Any idea of the proper name anyone?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'm not going to Google for it AGAIN. YOU can look up thread...

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Something like master/slave socket - lots on Ebay.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This seems exactly what I'm after

Thanks.