Can I fit outdoor socket from indoor one?

Hi,

I want to install an outdoor weatherproof socket, do I have to wire it all the way from the consumer unit or can I take it from an existing indoor socket? I have an indoor one exactly in the position I want the outside one (only the thickness of a wall between the two), what's the best and safest way to do it? It's only going to be for low-voltage lights and laptop charger, nothing too heavy. I've got a few bits lying around in the shed like a circuit-breaker-socket and weatherproof boxes, the cable will only need to go straight through the wall (about 12 inches) so it's not going to need burying or anything complicated. Unfortunately my consumer unit is miles away from the back garden.

I'm not sure if I need a qualified sparks to come and install/sign it off. What would be a reasonable cost if I had to get a pro to do it?

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I can't see any reason why you can't just set up the extension in the way you want and plug it into the socket you already have. Basically, what's the difference in plugging your extension in and plugging any other item in?

Rob Graham

Reply to
robgraham

An outside socket installation is part p notifiable.

If you want to install one and tell not one that is fine.

The circuit that feeds the socket that you want to power the outside socket needs to be RCD protected. That socket should also be on the ring and not a spur from the ring. If you call a pro in then he would probably want to check that your main bonding is up to standard as well.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I did think of that, but then thought that there must be a reason for not doing it, so I'm going to give that a try. I smugly thought I had everything I needed, but I don't seem to have any cable so off to B&Q later. Many thanks!

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

I've got a RCD socket that you plug the appliance into, and then the RCD into the wall indoors. Is it right that if I plug something into it, push the button to test the RCD and trip it so that the appliance is isolated, then it's working OK? I'm not sure if the living room is on a spur, and know nothing about main bonding. It's a fairly new house and we had a qualified guy in last year to fit a power shower, he said it was all up to scratch at the time. Thanks for the advice.

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

Ah

One of those outside sockets.

Then just drill through the wall and plug it in.

Job done.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Oh yes, and how many DIYers take out a full page national press advert showing what they have fitted. So long as it is safe enough, then only you need to know what you have done.

Exactly - why should he tell anyone?

No it doesn't - not if the outdoor waterproof socket ha the RCD.

That depends on what you are running from it, no reason to be concerned if it is a lawn mower or light etc.

He would if he was doing it correctly, but a lot charge for work that is not required and con the customer. Quotes for such work can range from £150 up to a full rewire! A lot of con merchants will get to the point of connection and declare all the wiring in the house is unsafe. You have to know what you are doing before the risk of being conned. People are out to make money any way they can now.

Reply to
Clive

Do you know what is safe? Can you test a circuit?

That was my point.

That may cover the 17th ed regs.

Plug in socket or hard wired socket?

Fuck me! I wish I could have a starting price of £150 for such a small job.

Do you know any con merchants? You are making stories up.

Back on Planet Earth any decent electrician would not try to con anyone.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I've used one electrician in my life, and he was a con merchant. Ripped me off something rotten I discoverred later in life.

I wouldn't trust any tradesman as far as I could throw him, and most of em are fat blokes who sit on their hairy backsides half the day drinking tea and moaning about the state of the economy, rather than getting on with the job they're being paid for.

Fit it yourself and save a small fortune, it really really isn't rocket science...though the average hairy arsed sparks would love to convince you it is....KERCHING!

Al

Reply to
Al