Outdoor socket question

My daughter has just moved into a house that has an outdoor socket installed. Its an MK socket, looks like it could be a Masterseal. Is there a magic way of opening the cover? We have tried just lifting it from the bottom, but it refuses to move.

Thanks

Reply to
Dawn

You have to press up on the tabs underneath the bottom edge. It can be hard when new as I found out.

Reply to
dennis

If it's like the one at my mum's, it hinges from the top and you open it by squeezing the lid gently between the centre top and centre bottom (where the flex hole is).

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Lift and pull outwards. Or possibly push down and pull outwards. They are very stiff, but i've not broken mine yet..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is more than one version of these - none are that nice to open. The older ones has a tap either side of the flex exit that needed to be pushed up to free the bottom of the hinged cover. Later ones may have the type where you squeeze together a pair of lugs either side of the flex exit.

Reply to
John Rumm

Mine's 10 years old, and I still can't flip the bloody lid open without an implement of some sort.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I had one from wickes (I don't recall the brand) which was so tough I eventually ended up ripping the front off the hinges opening it one time as I pulled a bit too hard and it opened faster than usual.

Reply to
dennis

The Clipsal ones aren't much better (OK they're not full weatherproof, just weather resistant, but I tend to fit them inside the garage and shed).

Reply to
Andy Burns