Painting over indoor-outdoor carpet

We've got a screened porch (they call them Arizona Rooms here in Arizona), and the floor is covered with that green "astroturf like" indoor-outdoor carpet. My wife understands that it is possible to paint over it using several coats of primer followed by a floor paint, to wind up with a different color and relatively smooth surface.

Has anyone had any experience with doing this?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Northe Green Valley, AZ

Reply to
Northe

You are joking right?

Reply to
misterjustme

On 6/29/2008 11:55 AM Northe spake thus:

To be honest, no, I've had no experience with this, but it sounds pretty crazy to me. Suggestion: if you really want to find out, get yourself a scrap of carpet and try painting it to see what happens. My guess is you won't be pleased with the result.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

They did it on "Trading Spaces" one time, so it is possible.

Reply to
Ron

Northe wrote in news:tUQ9k.4103$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.phx:

Understands from where? Hobo village?

Reply to
TD

Never underestimate the power of a Cone Head family. (consume mass quantities of (paint)).

In FL they're called Florida rooms. In the penitentiary they're called rubber rooms.

Reply to
Oren

Dumb idea. You don't paint carpet, you dye it. Your wife doesn't want to paint your old clothes, does she?

Reply to
Frank

You are joking, right?

I've watched that show a couple times, back when it first started. The 'remodeling' they do is right up there with building sets for a high school play. Don't have a cite, but I've seen articles that the redone spaces generally fall apart quickly. I wouldn't take anything you see on there as gospel. Sure, you can paint it, but it will quickly look like crap as the paint flakes off. Remmants are cheap- go find a color you like. If the old stuff is glued down (a common sin) just scrape it off as best you can, and lay the new over it.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Ron

Anyone who has spilled paint knows that it would probably sink into fiber carpet. Astroturf is a whole nother idea - horrible, just to think about. I can't imagine why anyone would want to try, unless striving for a particularly unusual color. Indoor/outdoor carpet is pretty inexpensive, probably cheaper than the primer and paint.

Reply to
Norminn

Ron wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@d45g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

It's possible to put it on TV and make it look good for the moment.

Reminds me of an old "$19.95+s&h, order before midnight tonight" commercial for thinning hair. Sprayed the guys head with some black stuff and combed. Suddenly it looks like he has a full head of hair. Looks good on TV where no detail can be seen and the test of time is zero.

In reality I heard that it actually just colored the scalp to look good from an airplane. Up close it looked like the dude had a black helmet on...an ugly black helmet...a cheap ugly black helmet.

Reply to
Red Green

How about just ripping it out and putting in indoor outdoor sisal carpet of your choice of color? Cats love it. It's one big scratching post.

Reply to
ConnetiCat

Ron,

Thanks for that reference. I believe that my wife is convinced that painting is not the right approach.

Northe

Reply to
Northe

"Northe" wrote

And forgive me. I didnt reply because i thought you were a troll. No one could really paint such a thing could they?

Reply to
cshenk