electric logsplitter & generator

I have a 4.5 ton electric logsplitter, 120 volts, 1500 watts. I've been running it at home on a 120v / 15 amp circuit ... no problem ... the lights don't even flicker on starting surge. I plan on going to my cabin and would like to run it off a generator. The big question is ... will it operate off of a Coleman 1850 ... which is rated at 1850 watts surge, 120 volts ... 12 amps / 1500 watts continuous. If not, how big of a generator is needed.?

Reply to
Wolf

You'll need a minimum of 1857 watts, lol, It'll probably work because it's not starting under a load. Try it, the worst that can happen would be tripping the circuit breaker on the generator

Reply to
RBM

Why not get a somewhat larger generator? Many machines operated at near capacity for some time will not have long service life. Besides, what if you decide to do some night time splitting and need lights out there? (I know, I know, that's far fetched, but who can predict human behavior?).

Joe

Reply to
Joe

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

It would be wise to put an ammeter on the splitter, and see what the actual current draw is.

How much wood you figure to split? Most consumer model generators are designed for 100 to 200 hours of use, and then you throw it out and buy another. Cause most HO run it once a year, or two times. For ten years or so.

The 1850 should work fine. For a while. Is it a gas oil mixer, or does it have a crancase? Air cooled engines run HOT, so please use only the finest oil you can find. Castrol 10w30 if it's got a crankcase. Drain and change every 25 hours of runtime.

Not sure what the price of the 1850 you have in mind. You can get a Coleman or equivilant about 5,000 watts for about $500, with the five gal fuel tank. Longer run, less schlepping gascans around. Again, good brand of oil, and change oil every 25 hours of runtime.

Most Coleman are noisy. Plan on earmuffs. Honda are much quieter, though expensive.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The motor code is IP54 ... starting surge is ???

Reply to
Wolf

Joe ... I do have a larger generator (5000 watts) but I really don't want to haul it back and forth. Cabin is remote and on top of a ridge. The small Coleman 1850 is already there and is used for small power tools. I smaller Coleman 800 is used to recharge battery packs (rescued from the trash). If I was splitting more wood, the larger generator would be hauled back there and will eventually. At this time, if it works, the Coleman 1850 would be used for a few tree that were blown over near the cabin. Lighting is via oil lamps or propane ... solar will be used later on a small scale.

[...]

I dought it will start it you have maybe 2.5 times surge power needed to start it, my friends coleman would not do a power washer it will also strain it.

Reply to
ransley

I'm not Joe, but you sound like you are wise, thoughtful, and scintillating. Sounds like a perfect answer to all your needs. Have at it, and don't drink alcohol or use strong medicine while operating equipment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

See this URL:

The code is a single letter, also called the KVA code.

IP54 is someth>The motor code is IP54 ... starting surge is ???

offers corporate packages that have access to 100,000+ newsgroups

Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Thanks for the links ... unfortunately there are no other numbers on the motor, nor is there any specified in the user manual. I was able to borrow a meter and it appears that the surge amperage is 45. Last for about 1 second and the drops to about 10. I'm surprised the 15 amp breaker wasn't tripped.

Reply to
Wolf

Breakers aren't "fast-acting" for that reason.

Why not simply take it and try it on the generator? Either it will or it won't have the guts to power it....

--

Reply to
dpb

Oiling the motor might reduce the surge amps. But, as the other poster said, try it on the generator. The generator has a surge capacity for just this kind of thing.

Hint: Start the motor while the ram is not under load. Open the jaws an inch or two of air space longer than the wood.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Results : Used an ammeter ... load is 45amps for 1 to 1.5 seconds, runs fine on the grid on a 120V 15 amp circuit. I did haul the splitter and 5000 watt generator to the woods. The PowerMate 1850 would not get the motor spinning. The 5000 Watt generator, using 120V 20A outlet did the trick. Several 18 0 20 inch dia trees were split w/o a problem. I will be looking for a Honda generator in the future. Thanks again to all.

Reply to
Wolf

Thank you for the field report. I found out years ago, that my 10K btu window ac will run on my coleman 2250 watt generator. Also useful to know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon