Who Makes Blast Gates That Don't Get Clogged?

I have a couple of these Woodriver blast gates in my shop:
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/2-1-2-abs-blast-gate
They tend to get clogged in the back corners such that they don't close completely. More often than I'd like I have to get out the air hose and blast the dust out of the innards to get them to seal. Once they are clean they work great...for a while.
Is this common with blast gates or are there better ones that don't clog? I need 2 1/2" gates.
Thanks!
On Tuesday, August 6, 2019 at 8:28:05 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I use the all metal gates and do not have any problem with them not closing completely. They have been in service for years. I believe I bought them at Rockler. Mine are for 4" hose. I don't know if that makes a difference.
Bob
On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 6:30:45 PM UTC-4, Bob D wrote:

From my recent reading, these plastic gates are prone to clogging, especially in systems with relatively weak air flow.
Some people modify them by clipping off the back corners so the debris is pushed out. Yes, you lose some air flow at the open gate, but less than when you are losing air at a gate that is supposed to be closed but isn't due to the clog.
I'm going to try that. If it doesn't work, I may try these, although it seems like the open slot would mean even more leakage.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
On 8/7/2019 5:30 PM, Bob D wrote:

I think larger hose would help. Probably less pressure involved so particles wouldn't be so inclined to fill up the cracks around the gates.
On 8/6/2019 8:28 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't use nor will I probably ever use blast gates. I do not have a multi man shop so I only need to use my DC for ONE tool at a time. I have a 30' long flex hose that comes directly from the DC to any of the 6 machines that use the 4" connection. The ends are flared so hood up is instant.
My set up is just toooooo easy and efficient for me to consider complicating with Y's or blast gates.
On 8/8/2019 1:54 PM, Leon wrote:

Oh one more thing, no clogs at all, ever.
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 2:54:23 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

My set-up is far from "complicated" One Y, two blast gates, right next to each other.
One gate is dedicated to the miter saw, the other is for basically the same hose set as you describe. It takes nothing more than a quick push-pull to swap the air flow.
I found that I use the miter saw so frequently for quick, one or 2 cuts, even for non-shop related tasks, that it deserved a dedicated DC connection. In addition, the miter saw's DC connection is on the left of the saw and the entire rest of my shop on the right. The dedicated connection for the miter saw is more efficient than just a single hose, even with the clogs.
On 8/8/2019 2:38 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well, complicated enough that you are asking for solutions to problems.

And to unclog jams.

Then you should not have any complaints,,,,, or do you? About those blast gates.... ;~)
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 4:09:41 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

Solution to problem. Singular.

On occasion, yes. But the air line I ran to the shop last winter sure helps with that task.

The set-up is still more efficient, even with the occasional need to clean the gates. If I had to do it before every use, then, no, it wouldn't be more efficient.
Has every improvement you've made in your shop/house/etc. been 100% perfect the first time or did some require a bit of tweaking?
If you never have any issues whatsoever, then I bow to your greatness. ;-)
On 8/8/2019 3:27 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Nooooo. I finally went to the single 30' hose to cure issues with clogs. ;~)
Actually your issue is a long documented problem with blast gates and complicated runs. I decided to simply run the flex hose with the flared ends to start with.
I was watching a YouTube video a few weeks ago, OMG, me too. The guy had a Very complex DC system and had no suction. Probably 6~8 gates and as many Y's. All sent from the tool to the ceiling and the system could not pick up debris from his DeWalt planer. He thought it was because the DeWalt planer blew out the chips vs. simply being sucked out of the planer. He clearly did not have an understanding of how all of this works.
On 8/8/2019 2:54 PM, Leon wrote:

Blast gates are not for multi man shops, they are for multi tool shops. Most larger shops with lots of large tools have a central dust collector permanently hooked up. Many not only have blast gates, but gates that open automatically and systems that turn on when each machine is used.
Derby seems to have a problem probably aggravated by the Rockler gate that doesn't open fully, and by the gate recess getting clogged, not the hose getting clogged. Jointers and planers can clog hose, not so much saws and sanders.
I would hate to walk around connecting all my tools to hose each time I used them. It's aggravating just having to move a gate. I already have a Long Ranger so I can turn on the collector from anywhere, and that's aggravating enough that I understand why guys like their machines to do all that for them automatically.
I made my own gates and they never get clogged, ever, but I still have to open and close gates manually...ugh. Well, I did have one clog and it was a t-shirt stuck in the middle of my table saw hose... Still no clue as to how that thing got in there. I'd have a hard time getting it past my saw blade and into the chute...

Jack
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 8:31:46 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

I could read my OP 100 times, upside down, sideways and inside out and not figure out how you came to that conclusion.
I never mentioned Rockler gates and I never said anything about them not opening fully. In fact, I said the exact opposite.
Wasn't it you that just commented on another member's "reading ability"? (see the Forstner bit thread) Pot, kettle, etc.
On 8/9/2019 8:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Well in Jack's defense the WoodCraft and Rockler gates probably come from the same factory in China. ;~)
On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 11:18:15 AM UTC-4, Leon wrote:

?
I wonder if this will work...
But the Chinese symbol for closed 关闭 doesn't look anything like the Chinese symbol for open 打开.
;-)
On 8/9/2019 9:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Someone mentioned they use Rockler Gates [Bob], not that that matters. The picture you referenced indicated to me the gate would not open all the way because of the button preventing it from opening fully. Rockler gates look exactly the same, and probably are.

That was in response to Kevin stupidly claiming "video was for people that can't read." I simply remarked perhaps a video would not help him, [considering his proclaimed reading superiority]
Of course, you're too freaking dumb to figure that out. I thought you no longer read or replied to my messages?
--
Jack
On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 11:13:51 AM UTC-4, Jack wrote:

Careful, you might trip if you keep backpedaling so hard.
BTW...your criteria for one thing to look "exactly the same" as another must be pretty loose.
Lost the initial post.
What size gate is needed?

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 4:31:11 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:

2 1/2"
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 15:48:09 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
Can't help with that size.

On Monday, August 12, 2019 at 8:35:01 PM UTC-4, swalker wrote:

What kind of help would you have offered if I had said 4"?