OT? Need yellow jacket repellent

Dear All, I just got rid of several yellow jackets around my front door. Now I see more yellow jackets looking to build new nests. Is there anything I can do to keep them from coming back.
Thanks, gray wolf

Spray the nest in the evening, after dark, when they're all home watching television. Don't turn on any more lights than you need to see the nest. Spray the hell out of it.
On 8/6/2019 9:24 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Good idea about spraying after dark. I did a search for a repellent and found that WD-40 sprayed on the surface would supposedly help keep them away.

There are some very affective yellow jacket traps available. Buy locally - or search Amazon for Eastern or Western yellow jacket traps.
I'm east of the Rockies and the eastern traps work well.
--
Jerry O.

On 8/7/2019 12:13 AM, Jerry Osage wrote:

Thanks! I'll check that out.

You don't want to keep them away. You want to kill them so they don't set up homemaking 10' away. If you don't kill ALL of them, the ones that are left will do just that.
On Aug 7, 2019, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote

Almost. You have to kill the Queen, or she will regenerate the swarm. The Queen does not fly out, unless the entire swarm is moving. Joe Gwinn
On Thu, 08 Aug 2019 09:20:25 -0400, Joseph Gwinn

Nope. You have to kill them ALL. One of others will become queen in a new nest if you let it happen. If all you had to do is kill the queen, the time of day wouldn't matter. There would be no need to wait until they're all home.
On Aug 8, 2019, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote

Good point. Bees don´t do that, I think.
Anyway, I do have an effective approach to wiping wasp/hornet nests out. I use a rose duster, used to apply insecticide dust to rose bushes, to apply Ortho Sevin dust. The dust does not annoy the wasps or hornets, so one can simply walk up to the nest ignoring insects coming and going, put the duster nozzle to the entrance, and crank the blower handle for a while. This blows Sevin dust into all the nooks and crannies. Then walk away. Two hours later, all buzzing has ceased. And the former nest is still poisoned, and so cannot be recolonized for some time.
Ortho no longer makes a plant duster, but see<https://www.bugspraycart.com/equipment/dusters/gilmour-d1-duster .
And Sevin dust:<https://www.lowes.com/pd/sevin-5-dust-1-lb-garden-insect- killer/3351616?cm_mmc=shp-_-c-_-prd-_-lwn-_-google-_-lia-_-241-_- outdoorpesticide-_-3351616-_- 0&store_code14&gclidIaIQobChMIhv2gn7v94wIVCeDICh0c0waoEAQYASABEgK7MfD_ BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds>
Sevin dust used to be 50% active ingredient; don´t know why it was diluted, but I´d suspect the EPA. For this application, probably 5% works just fine.
Joe Gwinn
Thanks to all for the good tips, info and links. I feel I'm well prepared. Now that I'm armed and ready they seem to have disappeared for the most part.
Thanks again, gray_wolf

Isn't that always the way? ;-) At least you're prepared for next time. I make sure I have a case of hornet spray in the garage. Never know when I'll need it.

    Then, they will build their nests on the case. :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Need a case of cases! Nuke 'em all!
On 8/6/2019 9:57 PM, gray_wolf wrote:

Spraying just before nighttime is the best option to kill them because they are not active then. The objective is to aim directly at the opening of the nest and kill them as they exit because they will rush out to face the danger and get hit by the spray, which kills them instantly. There are many great wasp/yellow jacket killing sprays which allow long range shooting. This is crucial cause when one of them is in danger, they send a signal to the rest and they will swarm to the threat and sting like hell.
Once they are all killed, remove the nest thoroughly, purchase a fake nest and put it in the same spot. Wasps, yellow jackets, bees, etc. will not build a nest where one already exist.
On Wednesday, August 7, 2019 at 10:01:48 PM UTC-4, Hawk wrote:

Add a "Beware Of Wasps" sign and a big arrow pointing to the fake nest.
That'll keep other kinds of pests away from your front door also. ;-)
On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 20:46:57 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

I like this sign for keeping pests away from your front door. <https://www.mysecuritysign.com/we-do-not-call-911-trespassing-sign/sku-k2-0560
On Thursday, August 8, 2019 at 9:54:34 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

ch

in

at

ll

2-0560>
SWMBO and I were out for our walk earlier this evening. We saw this sign:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/513zLX79-OL.jpg
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

On Friday, August 9, 2019 at 9:23:35 AM UTC-4, Spalted Walt wrote:

se

hich

s in

reat

will

.
-k2-0560>

ng-inside-is-worth-dying-for-yard-sign-non-ref.html>
I like to steal those signs. ;-)
On Fri, 09 Aug 2019 13:23:32 +0000, Spalted Walt

That's a good one!