Cross-grain thru planer?

How likely am I to get tear out running a small glued up panel cross-grain thru my planer?

Reply to
Gramps' shop

What species and what shape are your knives?

Pretty high regardless altho very sharp and very slow and very thin can minimize in non ring-porous species.

Reply to
dpb

Haven't done this, but have seen recommendations that you allow for sacrificial lumber fore and aft of the panel...

Reply to
bnwelch

Not all wood has grain that goes the length of the board. A lot actually curves around a knot or where a limb may have been. Do you get tear out on those type boards? If so you will get it also going cross grain.

Reply to
Leon

OBTW...presuming your panel is at least somewhat smaller than the planer capacity, use as much of an angle as you can rather than running thru directly at 90 degrees...

Reply to
dpb

More likely than planing with the grain. Less likely with a segmented, spiral cutter head... Super thin cuts, and super sharp blades would be a must I'd think...

Reply to
Jack