If I Needed A Project - $15 Jointer

SWMBO and I went to a 50 mile garage sale last weekend. It's called the Route 90 Garage Sale. Route 90 runs along one of the Finger Lakes in Central NY. Individual sales at houses and "flea market" type sales in open fields.

Some pics and a map:

I saw this beauty in some guy's barn:

I'm guessing it's about the same size as Sonny's Northfield unit. ;-)

$15 included the (rickety) stand which was designed with a chute so that the chips could fall into a bucket placed underneath. The blades spun freely by hand and felt pretty sharp, even with the rust. I wavered and walked away, but I did write down the guy's address.

I also saw this at another sale. A heat gun wired for both 115 and 220. And I mean literally *wired* for both.

DerbyDad03

Though I wouldn't need it, for $15 I would have grabbed it. Jointers are r elatively simple machines. Likely wouldn't take much to clean it and get it running, even if a new motor is needed. For $15, it's a neat project, in and of itself, to spend some time with. In the end, if all fails, its s crap metal worth may pay a modest percentage of your investment, no big los s. Considering the quality of many of those old tools, I wouldn't be surp rise if the tool is repairable for many more years of use.

What's the model number, 5050? Does that mean you have a 50/50 chance of s coring a good tool? I vote $15 is worth the gamble.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I bet one gets quite a tingle from the 120 pigtail when the heatgun is plugged into 220...

Reply to
bnwelch

relatively simple machines. Likely wouldn't take much to clean it and ge t it running, even if a new motor is needed. For $15, it's a neat project , in and of itself, to spend some time with. In the end, if all fails, its scrap metal worth may pay a modest percentage of your investment, no big l oss. Considering the quality of many of those old tools, I wouldn't be su rprise if the tool is repairable for many more years of use.

scoring a good tool? I vote $15 is worth the gamble.

Getting it working wasn't the only gamble. I could have lost way more than $15.

Me: Yes, honey, that's a really nice bowl. You know we have no shelf space left. Which of your current knick-knacks do you want to get rid of?

SWMBO: You're right. We don't have room.

Me: Yes, honey, that's a really nice dresser. You know we have no wall spac e left. Which of your current dressers do you want to get rid of?

SWMBO: You're right. We don't have room.

Me: Honey, help me load this old, rusty tool and rickety stand into the van . Honey, please calm down. Please put the hammer down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03