festool too expensive for you and feeling lucky

well are ya

i hope for the sake of some vigorous discussion here that a non-festool owner wins and can report back here will the winner convert completely over to festool if they win one

will they join the ranks of other festool owners and extol the virtues of festool forevermore will they provide a teardown revealing all will they just remind us frequently that they won and we did not will they chastise me for posting this because they secretly really really really want a festool and do not want the sweepstakes to be known

Reply to
Electric Comet

Interesting enough, many many woodworkers have been creating and performing within their hobbies and/or profession for many many years prior to Festool. Somehow I believe they will still get along well if they still don't have one.

As with many other products, just another overrated money grabbing device to help make the CEOs wealthier. I'm sure their tools have some advantages, but they aren't the Holy Grail of the woodworking industry, IMO.

Reply to
Meanie

Does you shirt fit with that chip on your shoulder?

Yes, Festool is high priced. Is it worth the money? Subjective.

Cameras, golf clubs, stereo components, cars, tools, they have one thing in common. As the price goes up, the value starts to slide. Twice the price is not twice as good. Cars usually come it two or three levels of trim. As the price goes up, the value goes up but not as much. My choice is to buy the top level because I like all the goodies and I'm willing to pay for it. Maybe you are not. We have choices.

Yes, most companies do make more profit, but you may be enjoying some of it., If you own stock, have a 401k, Mutual fund or IRA chances are you are part of the stock market and are benefiting from the company profit.

Unless you have actually used one and have done the comparison yourself, it just sounds like sour grapes to knock it or the price of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You knock me for stating a fact when you prove that fact by your statement of "as the price goes up, the value starts to slide". SO which is it, chip on my shoulder or, we'll call it, factual observation?

You are correct, you want to pay top dollar, that's your choice. I have paid top dollar for many products throughout the years. Some have impressed me, many have not. I have accomplished many tasks using a lower cost item (Harbor Freight debate comes to mind) for both hobby and profession with no complaints. You want to call it a chip even with your contradiction, so be it. I call it reality, because that's really what it is.

Reply to
Meanie

I didn't say it was overrated and a money grabbing device to make a CEO wealthier. That is the chip.

No contradiction. My statement was the value/price equation, not the negativity of a money grabbing overrated tool. It performs well, as advertised. I buy if it has value to me and not a consideration of the salary of the CEO

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I'm already on McFeely's mailing list--no skin off my butt to get more junk mail from them the odd chance of getting swag.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Me too, one less that will need to hear the reason why. :-)

Probably not, no tool manufacturer makes the best of everything.

Maybe only if they join a discussion on why a particular tool is better

Hopefully not, as they probably are not qualified to offer an opinion on the mechanics wear and tear.

I will if I win, but then I would have to enter and I don't want even more junk mail.

You probably hit the nail on the head with the new manually operated but superior Festool hammer.

Reply to
Leon

Can we get a review of that hammer? List price? Where does it get the power from?

It takes a revolutionary manufacturer like Festool to come out with a tool that can be operated with no electricity or compressed air. Amazing technology.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Like that Festool tape measure, the classic solution looking for a problem, that has never measured a board, after the first one.

Reply to
Swingman

Absolutely, same can be said about those that do it with out Ryobi, Porter Cable, Fein, Bosch, and or any other brand that might be priced above their comfort level or need.

But the unique difference between a hobbyist and a pro is the ability to make a profit. Business being, "managed properly", the better value tools, often more expensive, are the better choices.

Reply to
Leon

i just want to know if the vac is quiet

my old vac makes my ears bleed

Reply to
Electric Comet

well it is fun to see the innards of various equipment as for the opinions no big deal everyone has one

i realize now that until i watched the tear-down of that track saw i had never even heard of a track saw so sometimes there really is no such thing as bad press

it is a good idea but not in my budget

Reply to
Electric Comet

;~) I was hoping some one would catch that.

Reply to
Leon

Quiet is relative.

It is the quietest vac I have ever heard except for maybe the Fein.

I seldom hear the vac when using along with the tool that I am using, be that a corded drill with the Kreg pocket hold jig, track saw, or either sander. The power tool, not the vac, is the dominating sound that you hear. In fact I cannot tell by sound, when using with another tool with it, if it is on low or high suction power. I have to look at the dial. Just used alone to vacuum a surface you can tell by sound whether it is on high or low suction.

For reference, a drill press might be quieter.

Reply to
Leon

It's not for every one, nor is every Festool tool for me.

Food for thought on the bearings, and I did not watch the video again or much past him commenting on the quality of the armature bearing/bushing on the outer case.

In the automotive industry, vehicles, certainly American vehicles, with manual transmissions use a brass/bronze bushing called a pilot bearing/bushing.

It pressed into the transmission end of the engine crankshaft. The input shaft that comes out of the manual transmission protrudes through the clutch pressure plate, clutch plate, and into that bushing/bearing.

When the vehicle is stopped and the engine is running the bushing/bearing spins around the end of that transmission shaft. While the majority of the time the vehicle is moving it often stops at stop signs, traffic lights, and parking lots. In that instance the bearing/ bushing is spinning around the transmission shaft. These bushings often last for tens of thousands of miles and are often never replaced. Considering mileage and horse power of the average vehicle compared to a Festool track saw and the fact that both the saw and vehicle bearing are pretty much doing the same thing, positioning a spinning shaft with out much of a load I think the Festool bearing will be fine for another 40 years. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Had an old Ranger, had the clutch replaced they did the pilot bushing trice as the first two squealed like a stuck pig.

Reply to
Markem

And one of the number one reason not to replace them if they ain't broke because you have to completely undo/redo every step. I don't recall if you have to remove the pressure plate to get to the pilot bushing. It is back in there 2~4 inches and you are working through a hole that is the diameter of the input shaft. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

That same difference works both ways. A hobbyist doesn't have to justify his expense on profit. "I want" stands on its own. My justification for buying the "best" is that it only hurts once. In the past, I've upgraded the same tool a number of times. That's not going to happen anymore.

Reply to
krw

However, the pilot bearing never has any sideways torque on it. When it's in use, there is no power being delivered to the wheels.

Reply to
krw

It simply prevents the clutch plate from weighing down on the input shaft and keeping it centered when the clutch is released. If the input shaft were allowed to settle from the weight of the clutch plate and the clutch plate went slightly off center there would be a heck of a vibration when letting out on the clutch pedal. It has a slight load then the transmission is disengaged by the clutch. The outer input shaft bearing and the pilot bushing carry the weight of the clutch plate and in put shaft when the clutch is released and the pilot bearing continues to spin around the end of the input shaft.

On the saw 99.5 % of the load is carried by the bearings nearest the gears. Those bearings have to be stout but the end cap bearing gets very little load by comparison and why they are not over built. There is not much leverage to apply much force on the end cap bearing.

Reply to
Leon