Sub-C cells

My trusty old Wicks cordless drill has a failed battery. The other one is still ok - but won't be far behind. It's a drill I like - has an add on right angle drive attachment, so I think it is worth fixing. Wicks don't do spare batteries and it's an odd size - 15.6v 2Ah NiCad. The cells are definitely Sub C size.

I'd be happy to replace them myself using tagged ones. But where to buy decent ones at a good price? Or would a firm that fixes any battery be a better bet? It's quite a few years since I bought any cells like this, so any up to date info appreciated.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I Googled for the cells I used when I did this a few years ago. Forget who I used but you get a sense for better or worse sites. I didn't find it particularly easy to solder the tags neatly and compactly but the replacement has been fine.

See also Grimley's recent post for ready made packs, c >>

I've dealt with them for Makita batteries (or copies of) and had no problems so far. Two of them are now 3 years old and still working fine, the third one is 2 years and ok.

Reply to
newshound

They don't list the Wicks ones. And don't appear to re-cell ones - just supply complete spares. It's possible the Wicks one is the same as a better known brand, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have used BatteriesPlus.co.uk for tagged batteries and found their service quick. I replaced the Sub C cells in a Metabo screwdriver battery about a year ago and there haven't been any problems. In fact I replaced one battery with NiMh and one with NiCd to see if there was any difference in performance and use the NiMh one all the time now since I can top up the charge whenever convenient instead of waiting for it to be discharged.

Adam

Reply to
Adam White

I used

about a year ago for my Bosch drill battery and was well pleased with the price & service.

John M

Reply to
John Miller

Have look in

He has tagged cells; NiMh, you'd be lucky to find tagged NiCds these days, although he did have some last year, iirc. Always worth dropping him a query.

Grimly Curmudgeon

I've recelled my very old (but very nice) B&D screwdriver a couple of times, using CPC, but they don't do the sub-C type anymore. ISTR last time I did it, virtually all the NiCds were "until stock exhausted", and the only ones they seem to do now are the D-cells for emergency lighting (which seem to be about the last thing still using NiCds).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I've emailed a few of those that offer a re-cell service - and only one has replied to date. .

31.20 inc VAT for 1.5Ah, 38.40 for 2.0 Ah - both NiCad. Which is cheaper than I can find cells for - and includes return postage. With a one year warranty. So I'll give them a try.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The drill was a rebadged Kress IIRC.

Lovely drill; I can't understand why they don't still sell them.

Reply to
Fred

I guess new tools use Lithium rather than Nicad but it's a shame that no-one manufacturers nicads to recell old tools. There must be a lot of nicad tools out there. Are we all supposed to throw our tools away and buy new ones just because the batteries are obsolete?

Reply to
Fred

sanyo still do nicads

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher

I don't trust Lithium technology batteries particularly in devices with heavy loads. Had a Lithium battery powered screwdriver, the moment a screw got tight the battery protection circutry would cut in...

Just recell with NiMH, far less fussy than Lithium and you can use the old NiCd charger.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

no you cant.

you need a NiMh charger.

NiMh charger will charge NiCd but the reverse is NOT necessarily true.,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I'm having it re-celled with same capacity Ni-Cads at

for what seems to be a good price, if the cells are decent quality. It comes with a one year warranty.

Got an email from them saying it was posted back today, so I'll report on my findings when it arrives.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

yes.

Reply to
F Murtz

By accident (carelessness) I put a 14.4V Powercraft battery in the Makita

18V charger - and it worked! The Mak. charger will do 12V to 18V, NiCd or NiMh but not Li.
Reply to
PeterC

Arrived this morning so decent service. Seems to be just fine with plenty torque - this tends to be the give away with cheap cells, they won't deliver enough current.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thanks, I keep meaning to get my Hitachi cordless re-celled.

Reply to
Huge