How to tell if cordless batteries are C or sub-C?

I'm thinking of re-celling some Metabo cordless batteries, do I have to break open the battery pack to tell what size the cells are or is there an easier/obvious way?

Reply to
Chris Green

I've only ever seen Sub-C in a power tool.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Is that the old U2 size..?

Reply to
Sysadmin

Though beware of different lengths and diameters of sub-C

No, U2/SP2/HP2 are "D" sized

Reply to
Andy Burns

So there's "sub-c" and "sub-c" as it were?!

I'm some of the way to getting the battery case open, it's glued together so I'm slowly cutting through the joins with a knife. I guess I'll have to measure the cells and trust the seller (any recommendations?) to tell me the size of their cells correctly.

I was going to say that! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Yes. Only way to be sure is to measure what you've got.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

The only way is to measure their dimensions as accurately as you can.

Sometimes the plastic case will physically take full size C cells even if it was fitted with sub C. Strikes me as the battery equivalent of shrinkflation since you cannot see from outside what size they fitted.

I have seen sub-C with a ~2mm thick sticky tape on their circumference to make up the difference. I expect they are smaller *and* cheaper...

Reply to
Martin Brown

No.

C cells were different - more U11 IIRC

will tell you want size a sub C is and let you know if it's what's in your pack - 99% it is, though

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Size of pack vs voltage derived? I mean you can get more sub cs in than Cs. However I came unstuck some years ago with a Sony Ni Cad pack for a cassette recorder, it seemed to hardly have much life at all, That was because the flashy housing was D sized but the batteries inside were C sized due to the battery charging and monitoring circuit. Much better when you simply remote charged D cells and changed them when they were going down!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Sub C is a shorter length of C in my experience. One also has to beware of Alas hidden inside C cases and the same with cs inside D cases.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Most are shorter e.g 1/2, 2/3 or 4/5 length; but some are longer e.g 5/4 or 4/3 length, but are called "sub" because of reduced diameter

Reply to
Andy Burns

Utter crap. Sub C has an *exactly* defined meaning. An *exactly* defined size. "Sub C batteries look like a small version of a Standard C size cell. They measure 23mm in diameter by 43mm in length. " End of.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So a company like Panasonic wouldn't make a 4/5 length sub-C then?

Andy Burns

No

That is not a sub C. It even says so at the top.

I am not arguing what sizes of batteries people make. I am stating what the industry standard Sub C size is.

Sub C, rightly or wrongly, because a specific size and was the most commonly sold NiCd/NiMh cell for power use.

I think the 2/3AA was the next most common

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher